Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:01 pm

3L who plans on applying for a Circuit clerkship throughout the year and once I am an alumni. Could write a Note, but I really don't want to and would rather focus on getting good grades and doing other stuff. Plan to apply broadly and don't plan on applying for/getting into feeders or semi-feeders and/or applying to SCOTUS. Obviously it depends on the judge, but generally does a lack of a student Note substantially hurt my chances? marginally hurt my chances? Not matter at all? If it matters, I have lots of other writing samples available although I probably won't be having any 30+ page ones.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:01 pm
3L who plans on applying for a Circuit clerkship throughout the year and once I am an alumni. Could write a Note, but I really don't want to and would rather focus on getting good grades and doing other stuff. Plan to apply broadly and don't plan on applying for/getting into feeders or semi-feeders and/or applying to SCOTUS. Obviously it depends on the judge, but generally does a lack of a student Note substantially hurt my chances? marginally hurt my chances? Not matter at all? If it matters, I have lots of other writing samples available although I probably won't be having any 30+ page ones.
It probably won't hurt your chances. If the only reason you'd write a note is to strengthen your clerkship applications, then don't do it.

User avatar
Wild Card

Silver
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Wild Card » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 pm

you can never tell which judge will care

it couldn't hurt

Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 pm
you can never tell which judge will care

it couldn't hurt
I understand it won't hurt and will probably get around to doing it if I have the time, it's just that I'm kinda burnt out and idk if I really want to do the Note writing process for my law review. Maybe I could write one and just not publish it? Idk. I'm like around top 15% at a T14 (maybe could get it to top 10% by the time I graduate?—unsure) so not exactly a stellar candidate for circuit clerkship, but certainly competitive for the non-feeders I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 pm
Wild Card wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 pm
you can never tell which judge will care

it couldn't hurt
I understand it won't hurt and will probably get around to doing it if I have the time, it's just that I'm kinda burnt out and idk if I really want to do the Note writing process for my law review. Maybe I could write one and just not publish it? Idk. I'm like around top 15% at a T14 (maybe could get it to top 10% by the time I graduate?—unsure) so not exactly a stellar candidate for circuit clerkship, but certainly competitive for the non-feeders I think.
I've been on both ends of circuit hiring. Can guarantee you that a note has about as much value as running marathons or woodcarving-- that is, it's an interesting conversation starter. Don't sweat it-- work on graduating coif.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


jdoeman1234567

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 11:29 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 pm
Wild Card wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 pm
you can never tell which judge will care

it couldn't hurt
I understand it won't hurt and will probably get around to doing it if I have the time, it's just that I'm kinda burnt out and idk if I really want to do the Note writing process for my law review. Maybe I could write one and just not publish it? Idk. I'm like around top 15% at a T14 (maybe could get it to top 10% by the time I graduate?—unsure) so not exactly a stellar candidate for circuit clerkship, but certainly competitive for the non-feeders I think.

You don't seem like you want to write a note at all so just don't write one. An unpublished note is almost certainly not going to make any difference.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 8348
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 pm
Wild Card wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 pm
you can never tell which judge will care

it couldn't hurt
I understand it won't hurt and will probably get around to doing it if I have the time, it's just that I'm kinda burnt out and idk if I really want to do the Note writing process for my law review. Maybe I could write one and just not publish it? Idk. I'm like around top 15% at a T14 (maybe could get it to top 10% by the time I graduate?—unsure) so not exactly a stellar candidate for circuit clerkship, but certainly competitive for the non-feeders I think.
It's not worth it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:29 am

Original OP. Thanks for all the responses, probably won't end up writing one.

User avatar
Wild Card

Silver
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Wild Card » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:50 pm

It couldn't hurt unless writing one actually would hurt!

I interviewed with 6+ judges, and only one made a big deal about her own note, as if it were the crowning achievement of her young life, and was pretty sarcastic about me not having written one.

But maybe she was just making a list of reasons not to hire me .... Every other judge who interviewed me didn't care.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:29 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:50 pm
It couldn't hurt unless writing one actually would hurt!

I interviewed with 6+ judges, and only one made a big deal about her own note, as if it were the crowning achievement of her young life, and was pretty sarcastic about me not having written one.

But maybe she was just making a list of reasons not to hire me .... Every other judge who interviewed me didn't care.
OP here. Yeah I've been scouring potential topics and honestly nothing really excited me that much—would honestly prefer to just stack up on black letter classes during my 3L year, which I actually really enjoy taking. Thinking of doing 3 a semester and that on top of a Note would just be too much. Sure if something comes up an inspires me I'll go for it, but as w/r/t my current situation it would probably "hurt."

Anonymous User
Posts: 408498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do I Need to Write a Note for a Circuit Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:34 pm

It will give you another conversation topic. But it may hamper your grades. My circuit judge didn't ask about my note (written, but not published).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”