How can I tell which term I am applying for if I apply for a COA clerkship now? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How can I tell which term I am applying for if I apply for a COA clerkship now?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:00 pm

A rising 3L here. I was lucky enough to get a district court clerkship for 2023-24 this past cycle. So I would like to see if I can get a circuit court clerkship.

I plan to (e)mail applications starting next week. The thing is, I do not know which term(s) I would be applying for, what with the huge variance in clerk hiring.

Would it be okay to look at each judge's OSCAR profile (for the ones that are on OSCAR, at least) and apply for the term after the most recent listing? Or is there a better way to find out?

Anonymous User

Re: How can I tell which term I am applying for if I apply for a COA clerkship now?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:08 pm

You can just write in your cover letter that I am applying for the 2024 or 2025 term. Or, if you're willing to potentially get any term just say 2024 or any term after that.

Anonymous User

Re: How can I tell which term I am applying for if I apply for a COA clerkship now?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:17 pm

Why not just apply to 2024 judges on OSCAR? But yes barring that your plan sounds fine

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:17 pm
Why not just apply to 2024 judges on OSCAR? But yes barring that your plan sounds fine

Original anon. I plan to do that. I just want to (e)mail others too.

jdoeman1234567

New

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:00 pm
A rising 3L here. I was lucky enough to get a district court clerkship for 2023-24 this past cycle. So I would like to see if I can get a circuit court clerkship.

I plan to (e)mail applications starting next week. The thing is, I do not know which term(s) I would be applying for, what with the huge variance in clerk hiring.

Would it be okay to look at each judge's OSCAR profile (for the ones that are on OSCAR, at least) and apply for the term after the most recent listing? Or is there a better way to find out?
You should state that you will be clerking for a district court judge for the 2023-2024 term in your cover letter for the appellate applications. And then just write that you are applying for the 2024 or 2025 term. Almost all appellate judges are already full for the 2023 term now anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:43 pm

Following up on this from a different angle -
I accepted a COA clerkship last week, and realized afterwards that at no point in the interview offer/interview/offer did the judge explicitly say the year she was hiring me for. I wrote that I was applying for 2024-2025 in my cover letter (non-OSCAR/not in response to a listing). Can I assume in light of the cover letter that she was hiring me for 24-25, or should I try to get confirmation somehow (and if so how do I do that without seeming like a fool).
The judge mentioned I would get a confirmation letter at some point, but I’m not certain how long that will take, and want to be able to begin including the clerkship on my resume (and at some point to start looking for a D.Ct clerkship for 23-24 or 25-26)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:43 pm
Following up on this from a different angle -
I accepted a COA clerkship last week, and realized afterwards that at no point in the interview offer/interview/offer did the judge explicitly say the year she was hiring me for. I wrote that I was applying for 2024-2025 in my cover letter (non-OSCAR/not in response to a listing). Can I assume in light of the cover letter that she was hiring me for 24-25, or should I try to get confirmation somehow (and if so how do I do that without seeming like a fool).
The judge mentioned I would get a confirmation letter at some point, but I’m not certain how long that will take, and want to be able to begin including the clerkship on my resume (and at some point to start looking for a D.Ct clerkship for 23-24 or 25-26)
Did you talk to her clerks or assistant? You could email them to confirm the timeline for sending you an offer letter for X term.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”