Best Writing Sample Poll? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Which of these is best for a writing sample?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:54 pm

8-Page Essay on Legal Topic (Write On Essay, Exceptionally Well Written, Topically Random)
12%
Published Note (Substantively Less Strong, Very Well Written)
7%
Published Note (Substantively More Strong, Decently Written)
No votes
Brief (Wholly Self-Edited, Very Well Written, More Technical)
81%

Total votes: 43

Anonymous User

Best Writing Sample Poll?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:54 pm

I am trying to choose a writing sample for a COA clerkship application. Which do you think is best?

Anonymous User

Re: Best Writing Sample Poll?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:03 pm

Some judges will note a preference on a posting, so of course go with that. However, I have heard from many clerks that judges tend to not be much a fan of published law review notes as everyone knows they are substantially edited. So, I went with the technical memo. You do not need to blow anyway, it just needs to have no typos and be easy to follow. The key is to demonstrate you know how to write, are careful, and be teachable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:51 pm

I would go with the brief, with the substantively strong/decently written published note as second choice. Do not use your write-on essay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:17 pm

Don't use the published notes, since the assumption is that they are heavily edited by others. Plus, they will be available for the judge/clerks to look at via your resume if the subject interests them (I often look someone's note up if it's something I'm interested in). The essay might be nice for many chambers, since the writing is often more enjoyable to read which is a big leg up when clerks are reading through hundreds of writing samples. But it's a bit short. Briefs are fine, but they can be somewhat less interesting to read, and often have a different tone than judicial writing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:17 pm
Don't use the published notes, since the assumption is that they are heavily edited by others. Plus, they will be available for the judge/clerks to look at via your resume if the subject interests them (I often look someone's note up if it's something I'm interested in). The essay might be nice for many chambers, since the writing is often more enjoyable to read which is a big leg up when clerks are reading through hundreds of writing samples. But it's a bit short. Briefs are fine, but they can be somewhat less interesting to read, and often have a different tone than judicial writing.
That's true that the notes will have an assumption of being edited by others. I still wouldn't use the write-on essay. I would have looked pretty askance at someone who did so (but I'm assuming by the description "essay" that it was sort of a comment-lite. I just don't think that kind of format helps anyone - I want to see how you can write in a context that's relevant to the job).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”