How long after interview? Do judges tell you if you didn't get the clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How long after interview? Do judges tell you if you didn't get the clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:11 am

I interviewed with two judges this week--one Monday and another yesterday. How long should I hold out hope? Also, do judges let you know if you don't get the job after interviewing?

Saami

New

Re: How long after interview? Do judges tell you if you didn't get the clerkship?

Post by Saami » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:30 am

I had a judge wait two months to get back to me, and another took six days. So...it all varies. Don't give up hope if weeks begin to pass. Also, don't bother emailing asking for an update (unless you yourself have news on your end, like a competing offer); the judge hasn't forgotten about you.

Yes, judges will generally tell you if you didn't get a clerkship. They're interviewing so few candidates that it won't slip their mind to inform you if you're not chosen. They understand that you're trying to figure out your future. Hell, I've had a couple judges mail me rejection letters despite not even interviewing me (though that is admittedly rare). If a judge is such an a-hole that they can't be bothered informing interviewees about their rejection, well... I wouldn't want to work for that judge.

Anonymous User

Re: How long after interview? Do judges tell you if you didn't get the clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:03 pm

It took me something like six months with a couple judges I interviewed with. By then you're pretty sure you didn't get the job, but in both cases I eventually heard second-hand that the position was filled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:03 pm
It took me something like six months with a couple judges I interviewed with. By then you're pretty sure you didn't get the job, but in both cases I eventually heard second-hand that the position was filled.
Same here. Ghosting is unfortunate, but it happens. And I had it happen to me even though the judge swore they would get back to me. (I’m not that mad, since chambers is crazy busy, but I appreciate it more when they don’t promise to let me know either way)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:09 pm

Depends on who you interviewed with OP and their cycle. Was it COA, DCt, or State?

COAs take longer to get back (like a month after interviewing, but obviously this can be a huge range especially if they are not going to pick you)

DCts get back to you usually within 2 weeks (but obviously depends on district judge)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:09 pm
Depends on who you interviewed with OP and their cycle. Was it COA, DCt, or State?

COAs take longer to get back (like a month after interviewing, but obviously this can be a huge range especially if they are not going to pick you)

DCts get back to you usually within 2 weeks (but obviously depends on district judge)
I don’t think you can generalize even this much. It just depends on the judge (especially if they’re interviewing now, not on the federal plan).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I may disagree with this. I’ve heard of COA offers one day after the interview and D.Ct offers several months later. It is totally idiosyncratic.

elizh1016

New

Post by elizh1016 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi all-- OP here. Thanks for the insight. both were district judges

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Adding to the voices that disagree with this take - I think the better distinction is on-plan vs. off-plan. Many of the on-plan judges will move pretty quickly (some will give offers at the end of the interview, some that day, and some within a week/2 weeks after interviewing). Off-plan judges (both district and appellate) generally seem to take longer - though it's not always the case (as one example, I interviewed with an off-plan COA judge in the middle of the week a few months ago, and I heard back by Friday).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Adding to the voices that disagree with this take - I think the better distinction is on-plan vs. off-plan. Many of the on-plan judges will move pretty quickly (some will give offers at the end of the interview, some that day, and some within a week/2 weeks after interviewing). Off-plan judges (both district and appellate) generally seem to take longer - though it's not always the case (as one example, I interviewed with an off-plan COA judge in the middle of the week a few months ago, and I heard back by Friday).
Both of my clerkships came from "off-plan" judges. The COA judge offered at the end of the interview, the D. Ct. judge the day after the interview.

The only lesson here is that there is no lesson. Just try your best to stay sane. Distract yourself and focus only on the things actually in your control

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”