2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Howdy folks :D Thought I'd start this thread up.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm

Sutton has hired and Rushing has extended interview offers for 24-25. Any other movement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:26 pm

Anyone know which SNDY/EDNY are already full?

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm

Furman, Rakoff, Abrams, I think all full until 2025.

Chokenhauer

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:38 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Chokenhauer » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:41 pm

It’s fucking ridiculous that hiring this far in advance is a thing. I wish this absurd hiring scheme was uniform.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm
Furman, Rakoff, Abrams, I think all full until 2025.
I've heard of Rakoff extending a 2025 offer as well. I think the problem with top SDNY judges is that it doesn't really benefit them to hire that far out, but once you get hired further out than you would want, it's hard to dial it back without skipping a class completely and missing out on some great candidates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Has anyone heard of 2024-25 movement today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:28 pm
Has anyone heard of 2024-25 movement today?
My interview invite for a circuit judge was for 2024

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:37 am

Any movement for CA9?

Very interested in many of the non-California judges specifically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


jsw3464

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:36 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by jsw3464 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:40 am

Curious if anyone's heard of DDC judges reaching out for 24-25 interviews yet! My gut's telling me it's likely the plan judges mostly went right when the plan opened, so I'm not super optimistic, but I'd love a reason for optimism....

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:26 am

The folks you would expect to have moved on DDC have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:26 am
The folks you would expect to have moved on DDC have.
Amazing (by which I mean not amazing, but hey, here we are)

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:38 am

I saw Cobb and Boasberg in the 23-24 thread--who else are you including? Everyone? Or the feeders?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm
Sutton has hired and Rushing has extended interview offers for 24-25. Any other movement?
Rushing had already hired at least one clerk months ago for 2024-25. I wouldn’t be surprised if she is close to being full for 2024.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:37 am
Any movement for CA9?

Very interested in many of the non-California judges specifically.
Van Dyke, but not sure if he's full.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:48 am

Anyone have any insight into Holly Thomas' hiring practices? Curious to see what type of candidate she's attracting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm

well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that
Though they’re from LA, and may not have landed Watford, making Thomas their best hometown option, and the HLR EIC does not necessarily need a conventional feeder.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that
Though they’re from LA, and may not have landed Watford, making Thomas their best hometown option, and the HLR EIC does not necessarily need a conventional feeder.
Without making this a contentious topic or speaking to the EIC currently, is the Harvard EIC usually considered "best in show" position on the review, or is it a bit more of a political/electoral process? Might make a difference/I sincerely don't know how it works.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that
Though they’re from LA, and may not have landed Watford, making Thomas their best hometown option, and the HLR EIC does not necessarily need a conventional feeder.
Without making this a contentious topic or speaking to the EIC currently, is the Harvard EIC usually considered "best in show" position on the review, or is it a bit more of a political/electoral process? Might make a difference/I sincerely don't know how it works.
Clerkships—while involving some level of merit—are all a political process based on ability to get Professors to go to bat for you so it seems totally fair to view being elected by your peers as similarly important w/r/t hiring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that
Though they’re from LA, and may not have landed Watford, making Thomas their best hometown option, and the HLR EIC does not necessarily need a conventional feeder.
Without making this a contentious topic or speaking to the EIC currently, is the Harvard EIC usually considered "best in show" position on the review, or is it a bit more of a political/electoral process? Might make a difference/I sincerely don't know how it works.
Clerkships—while involving some level of merit—are all a political process based on ability to get Professors to go to bat for you so it seems totally fair to view being elected by your peers as similarly important w/r/t hiring.
My sense as an HLSer not on law review but that has lots of HLR friends is that it is that the position self-selects down to quite a narrow few (think about 5), and from there it is politics (but the self-selection probs implies merit and politics inherently too, I am not sure if there is pre-election angling).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that
Though they’re from LA, and may not have landed Watford, making Thomas their best hometown option, and the HLR EIC does not necessarily need a conventional feeder.
Without making this a contentious topic or speaking to the EIC currently, is the Harvard EIC usually considered "best in show" position on the review, or is it a bit more of a political/electoral process? Might make a difference/I sincerely don't know how it works.
No. In recent years, EICs have not done extraordinarily well (in comparison to other people competitive for top-level COA clerkships). MEs and others on E-board have done better, although HLR's overall performance has declined markedly as more people near the top are self-selecting out of Law Review and it appears to offer less of a benefit in hiring processes. In recent years, the EIC has generally been someone who is (1) incredibly progressive, (2) well-liked by their peers, with (3) okay, but not fantastic grades, because those with better grades want to prioritize maintaining those and don't want the time-suck (sort of true about HLR generally these days).

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
well she just hired the EIC of the HLR so there is that
Though they’re from LA, and may not have landed Watford, making Thomas their best hometown option, and the HLR EIC does not necessarily need a conventional feeder.
Without making this a contentious topic or speaking to the EIC currently, is the Harvard EIC usually considered "best in show" position on the review, or is it a bit more of a political/electoral process? Might make a difference/I sincerely don't know how it works.
No. In recent years, EICs have not done extraordinarily well (in comparison to other people competitive for top-level COA clerkships). MEs and others on E-board have done better, although HLR's overall performance has declined markedly as more people near the top are self-selecting out of Law Review and it appears to offer less of a benefit in hiring processes. In recent years, the EIC has generally been someone who is (1) incredibly progressive, (2) well-liked by their peers, with (3) okay, but not fantastic grades, because those with better grades want to prioritize maintaining those and don't want the time-suck (sort of true about HLR generally these days).
This.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:23 pm

I’m not an HLS student, but a similar dynamic has happened at Chicago, where the EIC applicant pool is now fairly small to the degree that it’s no longer a “best in show,” if it ever was. Once the luster has gone a bit, you’re left with a really difficult job that you may not even get a tangible career benefit from. For better or for worse there also don’t seem to be white men who get chosen as EICs anymore.

Anonymous User
Posts: 403479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2024-2025 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:58 pm

Okay, so.... Judge Holly Thomas is competitive, but not necessarily very grade sensitive?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”