Withdrawing from State Court Application Post-Interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Withdrawing from State Court Application Post-Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:33 pm

A couple of weeks ago I interviewed for a clerkship on a state court; I am still waiting to hear back. For a few reasons (none of which are related to the court or the judge), I've decided I would rather take a law firm position I was offered rather than clerking. I am considering calling the judge to withdraw my application before she makes a decision; is it poor form to withdraw after the interview? I feel that it would be worse if I declined a potential offer if made one.

Anonymous User

Re: Withdrawing from State Court Application Post-Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:33 pm
A couple of weeks ago I interviewed for a clerkship on a state court; I am still waiting to hear back. For a few reasons (none of which are related to the court or the judge), I've decided I would rather take a law firm position I was offered rather than clerking. I am considering calling the judge to withdraw my application before she makes a decision; is it poor form to withdraw after the interview? I feel that it would be worse if I declined a potential offer if made one.
You can call and gracefully say you decided to accept an offer elsewhere. Agreed that it would be worse to decline an offer, if it were made.

nixy

Gold

Re: Withdrawing from State Court Application Post-Interview

Post by nixy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:41 am

Yeah, just call and politely withdraw. Definitely better to do it now than if they call up to make an offer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”