Restructuring after Clerkships?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bored2L

New

Restructuring after Clerkships?

Post by bored2L » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:40 am

How abnormal would it be for someone to do restructuring work when starting at their firm after district + CoA clerkships?

Anonymous User

Re: Restructuring after Clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:45 pm

CoA clerkship, perfectly normal, needs no explanation.

District clerkship, maybe slightly unusual, but I assume that's because of self-selection and not because a District clerkship in any way limits your RX opportunities. I definitely wouldn't call it "abnormal," and I've seen a number of District clerks in various RX shops. (With SDNY being significantly overrepresented, but that kind of speaks for itself)

Granted, if you always planned on going into RX it probably would have made more sense (and been more useful as a practical matter) to target DE/SDNY BK clerkships, but really the important thing is that you can sell your interest in RX.

That said, you should be prepared to answer questions about why you did a District clerkship instead of a BK clerkship or just the CoA if you always planned on RX. Not as a gotcha, but as a genuine question.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”