Applying to clerk for a judge with an active matter you are working on

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying to clerk for a judge with an active matter you are working on

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Hello,

I am applying for clerkships and one of the judges I would like to apply to is also overseeing a matter that I am currently staffed on. Can this present any conflict issues? For example, would I need to let my firm know that I have applied to that judge and be removed from the matter?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to clerk for a judge with an active matter you are working on

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:46 pm

I don't think applying is going to be an issue. However, if you are offered and accept the clerkship, let your supervisors know and remove yourself from the matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:46 pm
I don't think applying is going to be an issue. However, if you are offered and accept the clerkship, let your supervisors know and remove yourself from the matter.
You will also have to tell your judge after accepting the offer. I had to be totally walled-off from that matter when I joined the clerkship.

I’d also double check whether the particular judge had made clear he or she wants a unconflicted applicant. Certain judges may bring in clerks for a particular mega-litigation (think crazy bankruptcy or the opioid litigation) and will be upset if you then can’t participate in the litigation because you had some link.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 am

I agree no harm in applying but I might about taking yourself off if you get to the interview stage. It’s possible the case could come up in the interview, especially if it’s a significant one for the judge and he/she knows that your firm is on it, and I’d be skittish about anything that could be considered an ex parte contact. Plus, if you’re able to tell the judge at the time of the interview that you’ve already been walled off (I wouldn’t raise it myself, but if it comes up), it may assuage any concerns he/she has that hiring you would show favoritism toward the party your firm represents

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”