Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Thought I'd kick this off, though it's a bit early, especially given the legal market this year. Do we know who is hiring? Have folks started sending in applications yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm

I've been in contact with multiple firms, all of which have told me that they have no idea about what their needs will be and to check back in in March.

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:31 pm

From what I’ve seen so far, even the firms that are usually first to startup clerk recruitment are taking a more cautious approach.

I’m expecting a long, slow cycle, but am still hopeful that hiring picks up by Jan-March.

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm

A lot of firms are still trying to figure out what to do about the incoming c/o 2020. There will be little to no movement before January.

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Have firms started reaching out to chambers for anyone else? I've received one email about a virtual reception (lol) in a few weeks but that's it so far, although even receiving one this early was surprising

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:44 pm
Have firms started reaching out to chambers for anyone else? I've received one email about a virtual reception (lol) in a few weeks but that's it so far, although even receiving one this early was surprising
I've gotten one screener-style interview and one more serious interview so far from boutiques. True BigLaw firms are still absolutely radio silent -- hoping things are better in the new year.

purplegoldtornado

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by purplegoldtornado » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:47 pm

Maybe this is simplistic, but is there a particular reason that some of you didn't just go back to your summer associate firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm

@purplegoldtornado, I'm applying broadly bc who knows what'll happen with the old firm. The offer on my way out seemed pretty firm, but that's far from binding. It'll also help leverage for a clerkship bonus if they attempt to get rid of that. There's no indication that they'll do any of the above (in fact, they're among those that gave an early fall bonus..) but as employees, we have to look out for ourselves. Knocking on wood that we don't see something like '08.

purplegoldtornado

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by purplegoldtornado » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm
@purplegoldtornado, I'm applying broadly bc who knows what'll happen with the old firm. The offer on my way out seemed pretty firm, but that's far from binding. It'll also help leverage for a clerkship bonus if they attempt to get rid of that. There's no indication that they'll do any of the above (in fact, they're among those that gave an early fall bonus..) but as employees, we have to look out for ourselves. Knocking on wood that we don't see something like '08.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:10 pm

purplegoldtornado wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:47 pm
Maybe this is simplistic, but is there a particular reason that some of you didn't just go back to your summer associate firm?
Didn't like biglaw, don't plan on going back

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Do folks know what the traditional post-clerkship hiring timeframe is? It appears that boutique hiring happens first and then big law in January-ish. Also, what do people think about how COVID will impact post-clerkship recruiting?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by ughbugchugplug » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 pm

If I’m not going back to my old firm when should I be submitting apps? Now? Considering boutiques, big law, mid law

Also how should I handle it if I’m applying for AUSA also? Just get a private practice job and then tell them whoops going to AUSA if I get a position?

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:21 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 pm
If I’m not going back to my old firm when should I be submitting apps? Now? Considering boutiques, big law, mid law

Also how should I handle it if I’m applying for AUSA also? Just get a private practice job and then tell them whoops going to AUSA if I get a position?
Now is probably the time to start. The hiring market is beginning to heat up. I accepted an offer from the first choice in my home market (not traditional big law) about two weeks ago and had to cancel some other callbacks and screening interviews (including both a boutique and a V10).

Can't help you with the AUSA question though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Also how should I handle it if I’m applying for AUSA also? Just get a private practice job and then tell them whoops going to AUSA if I get a position?
This is what I'm doing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:21 pm
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 pm
If I’m not going back to my old firm when should I be submitting apps? Now? Considering boutiques, big law, mid law

Also how should I handle it if I’m applying for AUSA also? Just get a private practice job and then tell them whoops going to AUSA if I get a position?
Now is probably the time to start. The hiring market is beginning to heat up. I accepted an offer from the first choice in my home market (not traditional big law) about two weeks ago and had to cancel some other callbacks and screening interviews (including both a boutique and a V10).

Can't help you with the AUSA question though.
Were the boutique and V10 in your home market too, or NY/DC? Just wondering if there are differences in timeline, because I heard from a DC biglaw hiring partner that they don't typically start reviewing applications until January

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Were the boutique and V10 in your home market too, or NY/DC? Just wondering if there are differences in timeline, because I heard from a DC biglaw hiring partner that they don't typically start reviewing applications until January
V10 was NY, boutique was out west.

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Also crickets on the Big Law front. Looking in SF/SV. I talk to partners and associates and they say they are completely slammed with work, but recruiting doesn't seem to be moving. Fingers-crossed it picks up after the new year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


ughbugchugplug

Bronze
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by ughbugchugplug » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Any idea when to apply for Boston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Anyone have any intel on firms in Orange County? I am thinking of applying this month, but do not know much about timing and/or if firms are actively looking to hire clerks given the uncertainty in the market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Anyone have intel on Los Angeles?

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:24 pm

Anyone heard from Susman or MoloLamken yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Can confirm some Bay Area biglaw movement

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:38 pm

Any movement on Hueston hennigan?

Anonymous User
Posts: 369281
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:38 pm
Any movement on Hueston hennigan?
Hueston Hennigan is definitely willing to consider applications at this point

estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: Fall 2021 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:12 am

Can confirm that HH is actively looking, but their specific needs vary depending on when you apply. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can elaborate/help with other questions :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”