Less conservative SCOTX justice? (Texas)

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Less conservative SCOTX justice? (Texas)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm

From what Googling I have done, all the SCOTX justices seem like fire-breathing conservatives (which is no surprise). In the off chance someone can surprise me - are there any SCOTX justices that are considered less conservative than their colleagues? (bonus question: and would be willing to hire a clerk without any conservative credentials)?

Edit: I meant Texas Supreme Court
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Less conservative SCOTX justice?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Roberts is the new swing vote, and he's joined the four liberal justices a few times. I've also heard that he's open to idealogical diversity among his clerks. Gorsuch similarly has joined the liberal justices at times, although I'm not sure about the idealogy of his clerks.

Anonymous User

Re: Less conservative SCOTX justice? (Texas)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:15 am

PM me, OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:15 am
PM me, OP.
Not sure how or if I can do that since you're Anonymous

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Feel free to PM me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawhawk1836

New

Post by lawhawk1836 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:15 am
PM me, OP.
Not sure how or if I can do that since you're Anonymous
Idiot anon above. PM me here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Are there none that are publicly known to be more moderate?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm
Are there none that are publicly known to be more moderate?
The Texas electoral landscape strongly discourages candidates for statewide office (like the SCOTX justices) from cultivating a "moderate" public image. So it is not surprising that the justices' websites and promotional materials make them all look extremely conservative. Still, the justices fall at many points along the conservative spectrum. Some are more concerned with protecting the free market, others with faith and family issues, and still others with small "c" conservative issues like judicial restraint. Some vote like moderates even though their promotional materials don't advertise it. The justices also care to varying degrees about textualism and originalism (some a lot, others very little). Some are Trump supporters and some are not.

Importantly, most justices do not hire ideologically. One part of that is that supply is limited: the best and brightest conservatives students have fairly easy access to the circuit courts via the fedsoc pipeline. Another part is that the court hears almost exclusively civil matters. Many federal constitutional issues that would arise in a state court involve criminal law. So there are only a handful of cases per term that call to mind some of the most prominent divides between liberal and conservative judicial philosophies.

Typically, the 18-person clerk class includes more liberals than conservatives.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”