How do you start applying to jobs as a law clerk?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How do you start applying to jobs as a law clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Pandemic aside, is there any systematic way of going about this? I would love to end up at an Amlaw 200 firm if at all possible, but I was not an SA. I was very lucky to get the clerkship that I just started, and I'm a non-traditional candidate by most metrics. Other than utilizing the judge as a resource, is there a way of applying to openings (even if currently non-existent) at these firms, or do you just have to wait until they actually post for a position?

Anonymous User

Re: How do you start applying to jobs as a law clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:32 pm

FWIW, I usually looked on NALP or the Firm's website for a hiring personnel's contact and emailed a resume and cover letter in. I had some interest pre and during the pandemic but ultimately got nos and (hopefully) will go back to my firm. Timing-wise, I think movement starts in December for most firms, so sending in at the end of November or the first week of December is probably a solid idea, but obviously that varies from firm to firm in normal years, much less the upcoming one.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Generally, the hiring process ramps up in the winter and spring. If I were you, I'd just apply broadly to any firm that interests you. Worst that happens is you get a no. I'd start applying around November/December (assuming you end in August 2021). That'll be early for a lot of places, but some firms do start hiring around that time.

diesel0408

New

Post by diesel0408 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:32 am

Agree with the above posts - in December/January start reaching out to hiring contacts. I would use the next few months to reach out to attorneys at firms you may be interested in for informational interviews. I felt it was very low pressure to say you're a clerk for the next year and are interested in learning more about X's practice. I took this approach and it led to my best leads, but then corona...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”