Did I blow it?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Did I blow it?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:55 pm

I am going to clerk for a federal district court next year. I worked very hard to get this opportunity, and it is with a very good judge. I was given a choice to clerk for either 2020-21 or 2021-22. I recently decided to accept the 2020-21 offer, and I will be leaving my current full-time employment. I do not have an open invitation to return, and I wanted to bet on myself that I could come out on the other side of the pandemic with a better employment outcome than what I currently have, even though one would have to assume that 2022 will yield a better job market. I guess I am coming here for moral support that I did the right thing more than anything else.

Trout et al

Bronze

Re: Did I blow it?

Post by Trout et al » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:39 pm

If you recently made this decision maybe you can have a conversation with the judge about staying on two years if the 2021 term is still open? That would give you more time for this to all blow over. You could also try applying for a second clerkship for 2021 if that is of interest.

In general I think it's good to clerk sooner rather than later so that is a benefit of doing it now.

No one knows what the job market for clerks will be like next year. It is possible that the firms that are aggressively tightening their belts with hiring freezes and layoffs will need junior attorneys by next spring.

Also, maybe by clerking now you avoided a possible layoff at your current firm. You have guaranteed employment for the next year, which is more than most can say in these uncertain times.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”