Grammar mistake in thank you note

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Grammar mistake in thank you note

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:12 pm

I just mailed a handwritten thank-you card to a judge I interviewed with. My handwritten message had two extraneous commas in it. When I caught the mistake I thought about buying another card and rewriting it, but honestly in the moment I was really sweaty (I was writing my note from a bench on the sidewalk outside the post office) and didn't want to walk back to the store, so I just went ahead and mailed it.

I know there's nothing I can do to fix it now, but I can't stop thinking about those two unnecessary commas. I think the judge will definitely notice them. To those who have experience clerking: would this kind of thing be an automatic ding in your judge's chambers?

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Re: Grammar mistake in thank you note

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:19 pm

This kind of thing is forgivable in handwriting, especially if the commas make sense in terms of speaking voice despite their ungrammaticality. E.g. "I am happy to say, that having visited Cleveland for this interview I could easily see myself spending a year here." Probably not an auto-ding.

But, for goodness' sake, just sit down at a desk and take your time next time you do something like this. Buy stationery so you don't have to go to the drugstore for Hallmark cards.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Grammar mistake in thank you note

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:28 pm

No, I don't think it wouldn't have been, but it's definitely more support for "do it perfectly or don't do it at all."

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”