Less than a year of work experience -> JSP-11 or 12?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
albinododobird

Bronze

Less than a year of work experience -> JSP-11 or 12?

Post by albinododobird » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 pm

According to the OSCAR website, judicial clerk pay is determined by the following scale:

JSP-11, step 1 - Law school graduates with academic excellence and no legal work experience.
JSP-12, step 1 - One or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction.
JPS-13, step 1 - Two or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction

So if I graduate in May of 2021 and start working at a firm in, say, October 2021 until beginning a clerkship the following August/September, will I be in JSP-11 or JSP-12? Anyone have experience with this? I had kind of taken it for granted that if I graduated in 2021 and started clerking in 2022, I would get JSP-12, but now I'm not so sure.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Re: Less than a year of work experience -> JSP-11 or 12?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:29 pm

You won't be able to hit 12 until October-ish 2022

moon123

New

Post by moon123 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:32 pm

I had a similar situation. You start off at JSP-11. After you have accumulated one year of work experience post bar passage, your local HR office should email something to your chambers where your judge has the option of promoting you to JSP-12.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:02 pm

Yeah, this ^ is correct. I graduated in May, started a clerkship in September, ended it the following August, and went straight to a second clerkship in August, and I was JSP-11 until I hit the year anniversary of starting at the first clerkship. It needs to be exactly a year.

JustMe83

New

Post by JustMe83 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am

Also, I believe that any time off you take between jobs does not count towards the one year, even if it's just a week or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:45 am

The above posters are right; just chiming in for a small clarification. It's one year of post-law school experience plus admission to the bar, not one year of post-bar-admission experience. A co-clerk of mine came in after 11 months of biglaw but only 9 months of licensure and was JSP-12 a month into the clerkship.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

Yeah, I should have added I didn’t get admitted until October after I graduated, but got bumped up in September based on my work anniversary, not when I was admitted.

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 am

Great. Thank you all for your help. I was also under the impression that you were frozen in to whatever level you start at because of this sentence: "The hiring judge, as the appointing authority in accordance to JSP Qualification Standards, assigns the appointee's grade at time of appointment." But it sounds like you can get bumped up during the clerkship, which helps to alleviate my concerns.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 am

Yes, you can get bumped up. It requires your judge signing off, but the vast majority of judges will be happy to do so. I have heard of one judge who wouldn’t bump people up during the clerkship (for budget reasons I think?) but they made it clear ahead of time, before anyone even got offered a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:36 am

albinododobird wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 am
Great. Thank you all for your help. I was also under the impression that you were frozen in to whatever level you start at because of this sentence: "The hiring judge, as the appointing authority in accordance to JSP Qualification Standards, assigns the appointee's grade at time of appointment." But it sounds like you can get bumped up during the clerkship, which helps to alleviate my concerns.
Current clerk here after ~2 yrs practice. I got bumped up when I hit two years without a problem. From what I've heard, the judges are always happy enough to sign off, you just should stay on top of HR when you hit the year of practice. Would be real dick of the judge to say no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”