Colorado SSC

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Colorado SSC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Does anyone have insight on when to apply for a Colorado SSC clerkship? I am a rising 2L, so I am interested in 2022-2023 term. I've heard that you need four semesters of grades to apply, but the website shows all the 2021-2022 slots are full. This seems a fast turnaround if rising 3L's only applied in June. Can you apply earlier but the judges won't interview until after four semesters of grades?

On another note, any insight into my chances? Top 15-20% at a T20, Law Review, planning on moot court, decent regional ties.

Anonymous User

Re: Colorado SSC

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:19 pm

No insight about CO specifically, but the timeline you describe is not particularly fast. Some judges fill all their spots within like 2 weeks of apps opening.

Your stats look pretty good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:50 pm

I don't think you need to have 4 semesters of grades to apply (at least, you didn't back when I was applying). If you look at the state clerkship guide, it just says that justices begin hiring the summer after 2L year and to check on availability starting mid-spring of 2L year. I would definitely err on the side of applying earlier and updating with grades if needed.

You probably have a reasonable chance, depending on your ties. Pretty sure Gabriel only hires from the T14 though (that was his stance on the COA so I can't imagine it's changed now). SC clerks tended to be either Order of the Coif from CU/DU, or T14 students (though I couldn't tell you what kinds of grades the T14ers had).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 pm

It's usually February - March.

As an aside, you should work on building up your ties. Almost all CO SSC clerks are from local schools or HYS. I've seen a few from T14 but never T20. Not saying it's impossible, but definitely strengthen your ties as much as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 pm

As an aside, you should work on building up your ties. Almost all CO SSC clerks are from local schools or HYS. I've seen a few from T14 but never T20. Not saying it's impossible, but definitely strengthen your ties as much as possible.
Eid hired very heavily from Chicago when she was on it. I think things like this probably depend more on idiosyncrasies of specific judges than on the court.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Eid hired very heavily from Chicago when she was on it. I think things like this probably depend more on idiosyncrasies of specific judges than on the court.
That's fair and probably accurate. Just pointing out that top 15% at a T20 is an uphill battle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Eid had a very specific policy to hire one Chicago grad, one CU grad, and one DU grad (at least part of her time on the court she had three clerks and one did JA stuff as well as clerk stuff). I don’t know if she does the same now, which is moot of course wrt the CO SSC.

Overall I agree that most clerks are top local/at least T14 with ties. There are going to be individual exceptions, but ties or other connections will be paramount.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”