applying to firms as a law clerk

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

applying to firms as a law clerk

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:26 pm

I am starting my one-year clerkship this summer and not exactly sure how to go about the post-clerkship job search. I would like to think that the clerkship would make me a strong candidate for available positions - at least those within the geographic area - although I know that not all clerkships are created equal. I don't even know where to begin though. I feel very uncomfortable sending out cold emails, but I'm not sure what else I can do, especially when I'd be looking to start more than a year from now. I just want to do something to feel productive.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: applying to firms as a law clerk

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Are you asking if you should apply for positions with firms before your clerkship has even started? If so, the answer is no.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:38 pm

You should be sending out cold e-mails, but not yet. Firms won't have any idea right now what their needs will be by the time your clerkship ends, so there's no point in applying now. (They ESPECIALLY don't know now, with COVID going on.) You should start reaching out to firms sometime in the January or so before into your clerkship ends (I was told Feb-March, but clerked a while ago and have seen others suggest hiring can start earlier). That said, you also shouldn't panic if you don't get something till later, possibly much later - it depends a lot on your qualifications and the market and so on.

What will be productive is doing a good job at your clerkship so your judge wants to help you, and getting to know as much as you can about the firms you think you'd want to apply to.

justanotherlurker

New

Post by justanotherlurker » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:42 pm

For a fall 2021 job start (August 2021 to Jan 2022), highly selective NYC firms will start recruiting in December 2020, and most of the NYC recruiting will be January - March 2021. I think other markets start later, but there's no reason not to start reaching out to firms around January/February 2021.

It's not a "cold" email if you're emailing a recruiting contact - it's just a job application!

If you want to do something now (not that you need to), reaching out to associates and partners are firms you think would be your top choices now is fine. I agree, cold emailing is awkward. See if you can find alums of your college or law school, former clerks of the judge you will be clerking for, etc.

An email like "Hi XXX, I went to ___ law school / will be clerking for Judge ___, and am very interested in learning about ___. Would you have time for a phone call over the next few weeks?" is totally acceptable. If you have a nice chat, when you apply in 6 months, just send them an email letting them know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”