Clerkship Hiring Timeline

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Hiring Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 am

Student at a upper T1 school. 40s-50s

For those who have obtained COA clerkships, what is the usual hiring timeframe? I know this can vary widely. I’m really interested in knowing the following: how long after the date of the hiring plan does it take for judges to interview? In other words, the hiring plan is June 15, so how long does it take judges time actually look at that and make interviews/offers?

And then after that, how much longer should one wait before throwing in the towel or sending second waves of apps?

anonymous117

Bronze

Re: Clerkship Hiring Timeline

Post by anonymous117 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:42 am

It might be helpful to go back and take a look at threads from last year. Since that was the first year of the new plan, that’s the only real indication we have about how plan timing works. Even then, it probably varies based on judge.

Also many judges still do their own thing and don’t follow the plan. So you just never know. I’ve gotten interviews the day I submitted the app but also two or three months after the fact, because that’s when the judge wanted to hold interviews. The process is frustrating in that there’s no standard process and a lot of times, you never hear an answer about your app either way. I would say if you don’t land something, keep monitoring OSCAR for new openings and apply to those as they pop up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Last year things moved quickly for COA.

The first day of the “plan” was a Monday. I received a call on Tuesday to come in and interview for a respected judge on 2/9/DC. It went well and I had the offer by Wednesday night.

A friend of mine who landed a position with a feeder on the 2/9/DC had a similar time-table (i.e., she basically had an offer in hand by the end of the first week).

It’s all anecdotal, but asking around it seemed like most COA judges strictly following the “plan” filled their positions within ~2 weeks of the plan going live. I don’t know if it will be the same this year in view of Covid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:33 pm

For COA judges who were serious about hiring on the plan, esp. "competitive" judges (feeders and those who sit in desirable cities), last year calls started going out the Monday the plan opened. I got about half my interview invitations on Monday, about half on Tuesday, and then one or two each on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. For the judges doing this, I agree that all hiring was done within two weeks of the plan opening (and for some, probably more like within a couple days).

That said, there's a healthy number of COA "on-plan" judges (and possibly many more D.Ct. judges; I don't really know) who have no interest in participating in that feeding frenzy. So even if they also opened up applications on that Monday, they didn't actually start reviewing and trying to interview until later in the summer or fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”