Post-clerking federal pay scale

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Airplant

New

Post-clerking federal pay scale

Post by Airplant » Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 am

What has been your experience with moving from the law clerk JS pay scale to the federal GS pay scale post-clerkship? Do federal agencies usually count law clerk service towards your GS step?

I have an offer to work with a federal agency, but have been told that I will basically be downgraded a step because my offer is based on my step at the time of the offer and not at my start with the agency (I was hired several months prior to the end of my clerkship, at which point I will have been working at a higher JS pay scale for over a month). Any advice?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”