Sending Judge an Updated Resume

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bball

New

Sending Judge an Updated Resume

Post by bball » Thu May 28, 2020 8:39 pm

I had an interview with a State Supreme Court Justice two weeks ago. I know this Justice sends a rejection via snail mail and have not gotten one yet. I just received my last semesters grades back and got the highest grade in one of my classes. I also got some minor awards for doing a lot of pro bono. My school went pass fail due to covid, so there have been no changes in my gpa. Should I send an updated transcript or resume to the Justice?

PistolBrad74

New

Re: Sending Judge an Updated Resume

Post by PistolBrad74 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 pm

I would absolutly send an update. Judges like more information, you not only have more information to give,but more information that makes you look great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 am

Absolutely send. This could tip the scales in your favor.

ExperssioUnius

New

Post by ExperssioUnius » Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am

If grades were pass/fail, then the award for top grade is rather meaningless because most of your peers likely did not give the exam their all. Also, some certificate for pro bono hours is not going to move the needle on your application with most judges. In sum, no change to gpa equals don't waste time sending update as it is more likely to make you look needy or pushy than to benefit your application.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am
If grades were pass/fail, then the award for top grade is rather meaningless because most of your peers likely did not give the exam their all. Also, some certificate for pro bono hours is not going to move the needle on your application with most judges. In sum, no change to gpa equals don't waste time sending update as it is more likely to make you look needy or pushy than to benefit your application.
Thats a no for me dawg. Even if it isnt worth as much as it normally would be, its still worth something. Even if we take your hypothesis as true and that the rest of the class was not trying, it still shows the judge how hard of a worker OP is. It takes almost no effort to send in new grades. The risk reward says send it in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am
Thats a no for me dawg. Even if it isnt worth as much as it normally would be, its still worth something. Even if we take your hypothesis as true and that the rest of the class was not trying, it still shows the judge how hard of a worker OP is. It takes almost no effort to send in new grades. The risk reward says send it in.
Yeah the original take here is really dumb. People are so afraid of chambers. What's the worst case that happens if you give a quick call or send a letter updating your app? Basically nothing. What's the best case? The judge says wow top grade despite pass fail! And kept working on pro bono stuff. They must be really self motivated to do that in COVID times. I should just snap them up.

Nobody is gonna count a top grade against you bc other people weren't trying. How do Yale kids keep getting SCOTUS clerkships then? (this is a joke, don't freak out)

I guess it's conceivably possible some incredibly weird judge doesn't like applicants calling chambers after to update them, but that seems really, really unlikely. I would just call chambers and, in a very polite way, express you have an update (and slip in what it is if you can) and ask how you should go about submitting updated docs.

The deputy / secretary or whatever will probably just tell the Justice and that'll be that, but it won't hurt, and def may help (also shows continuing interest)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am

Do you think it’s acceptable to send two update emails? For example, one regarding this past semester’s updates and then later about another clerkship you secured? Or would two emails annoy chambers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am
Do you think it’s acceptable to send two update emails? For example, one regarding this past semester’s updates and then later about another clerkship you secured? Or would two emails annoy chambers?
My judge wanted to know if applicants got other interviews/clerkships so that he could expedite decisions on the candidate. I'd send it in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”