V20 firms no-offering incoming/returning clerks?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

V20 firms no-offering incoming/returning clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Are others hearing about firms not extending or honoring return offers to returning or incoming clerks? Would be interested to hear what others are experiencing.

Anonymous User

Re: V20 firms no-offering incoming/returning clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 pm

This is second hand, so take it for it's worth, but I've heard Paul Weiss did not offer a former associate who had left to clerk and wanted to come back. This individual (for whatever reason) only indicated to the firm that s/he wanted to come back in March, right around when shit hit the fan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Mayer Brown is not honoring offers. Not V20 but pretty close.

legalnovice

New

Post by legalnovice » Sat May 30, 2020 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Mayer Brown is not honoring offers. Not V20 but pretty close.
Can confirm this for associates who left last year to clerk and now want to come back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:18 am

Sidley is honoring offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:18 am

A little off-topic, but I've heard that in prior years Davis Polk would honor an offer to return, but deny a clerkship bonus to, magistrate clerks, even SDNY/EDNY. In this environment someone might take that deal, but in other times that probably feels like a no-offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if firms that are hurting, or just cheap, go that route now with all their clerks.

Joachim2017

New

Post by Joachim2017 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:18 am
A little off-topic, but I've heard that in prior years Davis Polk would honor an offer to return, but deny a clerkship bonus to, magistrate clerks, even SDNY/EDNY. In this environment someone might take that deal, but in other times that probably feels like a no-offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if firms that are hurting, or just cheap, go that route now with all their clerks.

I've never heard, and highly highly doubt, that Davis Polk would deny clerkship bonuses to SDNY or even EDNY clerks. DPW is one of the true elite in Biglaw, and they're also not the type to short shrift on commitments (notwithstanding some grumblings about day-to-day perks) to associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 am

Joachim2017 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I've never heard, and highly highly doubt, that Davis Polk would deny clerkship bonuses to SDNY or even EDNY clerks. DPW is one of the true elite in Biglaw, and they're also not the type to short shrift on commitments (notwithstanding some grumblings about day-to-day perks) to associates.

That was my anonymous post. I worked at Davis Polk and know a clerk who was denied a bonus. It might be specific to magistrate clerks and it might even have been something about this particular associate, though I highly doubt it, but it still happened. And if it happened to this person, it can happen to you.

Ultramar vistas

New

Post by Ultramar vistas » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:00 am

Joachim2017 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Idk about truly elite; but they’re also one of the most famously penny-pinching firms, so wouldn’t surprise me if that extended to clerkship bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Joachim2017 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is secondhand, but apparently Paul, Weiss has the same policy. No clerkship bonus for magistrate clerkships.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:24 pm
This is secondhand, but apparently Paul, Weiss has the same policy. No clerkship bonus for magistrate clerkships.
Well, Paul Weiss has been plummeting in every metric.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... busy-2020/

--

I have three acquaintances who were former MJ clerks and they all got bonuses from their V50/V100 firms upon returning. Perhaps these lesser firms are behind the market.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm
Well, Paul Weiss has been plummeting in every metric.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... busy-2020/
Boy, that title did not hold up well...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”