Value of COA clerkship in current economy

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Value of COA clerkship in current economy

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi all, I know that uncertainty has been at its zenith in the last several weeks and will likely continue that way for some time to come, so -- like other people on this board -- I am naturally concerned about the long-term utility of my upcoming COA clerkship. I am leaving my current permanent employment for this clerkship and do not have employment lined up afterwards, and I'm trying to get a sense from others as to how this experience will be viewed in the 2021 (hopefully post-corona) world...I know that nobody has a crystal ball, so let me put my question this way -- would a prolonged period of unemployment (several months -- maybe more?) after completion of a COA clerkship be viewed extremely unfavorably over time? I ask my question this way, because I want to assume that any kind of legal employment will be difficult to obtain a year from now (although I really hope I'm wrong). Would a clerkship in the following year likely look any better, in terms of buying more time?

QContinuum

Re: Value of COA clerkship in current economy

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm

I think COA's prestigious enough that you should be fine, especially by next year.

Anonymous User

Re: Value of COA clerkship in current economy

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 8:06 pm

I’m about to make the same move, and honestly to me, the clerkship feels more secure right now.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”