New CA6 Judges

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
huntin4clerkships

New

New CA6 Judges

Post by huntin4clerkships » Sun May 03, 2020 5:24 pm

Any information on the hiring practices/chambers life of the new CA6 judges? Thapar’s practices and work conditions are pretty evident, given how long he’s been a judge.

Any information regarding the citcuit’s newest judges would be great, i.e., Bush, Larsen, Nalbandian, Readler, and Murphy. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: New CA6 Judges

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Also interested in Murphy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 6:30 pm

As a CA6 clerk for a different judge, I can give my perceptions based on talking to those judges and their law clerks. Can't speak to Bush or Larsen. I can speak a bit to the others.
1. Readler - Really personable guy. Clerks seemed to really like him. Seems like a good culture. They can be a bit slow pushing out work. Might just be because he's adjusting to everything. Seems like they worked a bit more than 40 hours per week, but it didn't sound like an unreasonable workload.

2. Murphy - Not as personable as Readler, but he's a very nice guy and very, very intelligent. He doesn't trade bench memos (or didn't, at least), so that creates a lot more work for his clerks. The clerks I spoke with had worked for him in the Ohio SG's office and chose to follow him to CA6, so they had a very high opinion of him as a person.

3. Nalbandian - I had less interaction with him and his clerks than the first two. They were timely with their work and working with them was easy. The clerk I spoke with really liked him. Gave off the impression that there was a lot of interaction with him in chambers, and it wasn't a formal, stuffy environment. Seemed like a good place to work. But again, I am less certain on this one.

huntin4clerkships

New

Post by huntin4clerkships » Mon May 04, 2020 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a CA6 clerk for a different judge, I can give my perceptions based on talking to those judges and their law clerks. Can't speak to Bush or Larsen. I can speak a bit to the others.
1. Readler - Really personable guy. Clerks seemed to really like him. Seems like a good culture. They can be a bit slow pushing out work. Might just be because he's adjusting to everything. Seems like they worked a bit more than 40 hours per week, but it didn't sound like an unreasonable workload.

2. Murphy - Not as personable as Readler, but he's a very nice guy and very, very intelligent. He doesn't trade bench memos (or didn't, at least), so that creates a lot more work for his clerks. The clerks I spoke with had worked for him in the Ohio SG's office and chose to follow him to CA6, so they had a very high opinion of him as a person.

3. Nalbandian - I had less interaction with him and his clerks than the first two. They were timely with their work and working with them was easy. The clerk I spoke with really liked him. Gave off the impression that there was a lot of interaction with him in chambers, and it wasn't a formal, stuffy environment. Seemed like a good place to work. But again, I am less certain on this one.
Fantastic information! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 04, 2020 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a CA6 clerk for a different judge, I can give my perceptions based on talking to those judges and their law clerks. Can't speak to Bush or Larsen. I can speak a bit to the others.

Another recent CA6 clerk chiming in. I agree with pretty much all of this, but I didn't work with Murphy's chambers at all.

I'd add that Judge Larsen works her clerks hard -- she has them do full bench memos for each case even if she's not the presumptive author -- but she also seems to run a tight ship in general and is pretty universally liked by the rest of the court as near as I can tell.

It shouldn't be surprising given his background, but Nalbandian is a big whiskey-and-cigars guy. Very politically connected and kind of bro-y (?) Does a lot of social stuff with his clerks like happy hours etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”