District Court Clerk Chances?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

District Court Clerk Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi there, just looking for some advice on where to apply/if I should even apply:

Top 20% at a T20
Law Review + Ed Board and Moot Court
Summer Associate at V15
A-range grades in Fed Courts and Con Law

What are my odds for a district court clerkship? I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere, but I'm pretty flexible about any major or secondary city I go to. Are there any CoA's that might be in my range too?

Anonymous User

Re: District Court Clerk Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 02, 2020 4:16 pm

I’d say you’re definitely competitive outside of the top tier (ED/SDNY, ND/CDCA, NDIL, DDC, EDVA). You’ll have the best chance in districts where you have ties and ones near them, so definitely blanket your region(s). I’m not sure if you’re competitive for a COA anywhere but a district court clerkship would strengthen your app if you’re open to double clerking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Depends on what you mean by "major" or "secondary" city. If you want to go to New York, are you competitive for SDNY/EDNY? Like the above poster said, definitely not. But D.NJ? Maybe. Philly/D.C.? Definitely not. But D.MD/D.DE? Maybe. Chicago? Probably not. But any judge in Michigan/Ohio/Wisconsin? Maybe.

I don't think you're going to get into that highest tier of judges, but I definitely think your stats will get you a clerkship in a city with a good amount of people and a good lifestyle.

Idk, what do others think?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on what you mean by "major" or "secondary" city. If you want to go to New York, are you competitive for SDNY/EDNY? Like the above poster said, definitely not. But D.NJ? Maybe. Philly/D.C.? Definitely not. But D.MD/D.DE? Maybe. Chicago? Probably not. But any judge in Michigan/Ohio/Wisconsin? Maybe.

I don't think you're going to get into that highest tier of judges, but I definitely think your stats will get you a clerkship in a city with a good amount of people and a good lifestyle.

Current DNJ Newark clerk with similar stats, though better grades. Straight out with those stats, I don't think you'd get much of a look here. Maybe with some work experience or ties. But from my understanding we get better applicants bc you can live in NYC and clerk in Newark.

But if smaller markets I think you could get a look. One nice thing about clerking is even flyover district judges are often in the local hub, so if you're flexible, you can have a fun experience somewhere random for a year. Of course, less prestigious etc. but still, kinda wish I got to do that straight out of school.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun May 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on what you mean by "major" or "secondary" city. If you want to go to New York, are you competitive for SDNY/EDNY? Like the above poster said, definitely not. But D.NJ? Maybe. Philly/D.C.? Definitely not. But D.MD/D.DE? Maybe. Chicago? Probably not. But any judge in Michigan/Ohio/Wisconsin? Maybe.

DNj is selective, and DMd is very selective. NDIL is extremely selective.

I agree that regional and alumni ties should be the most important factor for the OP.

Anyway, OSCAR makes it possible for all applicants to spam up to 100 applications.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Sun May 03, 2020 6:12 pm

I agree with everything in this thread, just think you should make sure you like, actually want to clerk.

It sounds like you've lined up a job litigating at a solid law firm, and you're probably not going to get a "brand" district court clerkship that will materially improve your paper credentials. So this should be something you do for the experience, or to get to know a judge, or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”