Can you tell others about a clerkship offer?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Can you tell others about a clerkship offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:43 am

Looking for some advice: I intern for a federal judge and was fortunate enough to have him offer a clerkship a few years out of law school. The question I have is while I was offered the clerkship, the judge told me not to accept yet since he wanted me to make sure it was a good move for my career. It is mine if it I want it, but I have some time before I need to firmly decided. By the time I would come clerk for him I will be a mid-level associate.

Before I was offered a clerkship from the judge I was working for I had started preparing materials to go through the process through OSCAR. I asked several professors for letters, all of whom wrote them on my behalf and submitted them to my career services office for whenever I was ready to apply. The question I have is it appropriate for me to share that I was offered the clerkship with professors who wrote my recommendation letters to clerk even though I have not formally accepted it yet? I didn't end up using their rec letters, but all of them had asked me to keep them posted on my progress with applications. I am otherwise trying to keep this to myself since it is not a done deal, but I didn't know if telling the professors (or anyone for that matter) was acceptable. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you!

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Can you tell others about a clerkship offer?

Post by Anon-non-anon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:49 am

It's probably fine, but if you want to be extra careful, you could just ask the judge / a current clerk, who you seem to have great relationships with.

It may be useful for your applications, especially if you are applying to a different level court, and especially if the next clerkship would be after the already-offered one. But to put it on a resume or anything I think you need to accept it first.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”