Post-clerkships delayed at firms?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cjm2018

New

Post-clerkships delayed at firms?

Post by cjm2018 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:48 am

Have any of the clerks who have offers to return to or start at any of the firms that have delayed start dates for the incoming class heard anything? Trying to get a sense of whether the delayed start dates are going to affect post-clerkship folks. Obviously the firms are saying the delays are because of the bar exam, but as discussed elsewhere on this forum, there's a good chance that they're just saying that as a cover and it's really a money thing.

Anonymous User

Re: Post-clerkships delayed at firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm

cjm2018 wrote:Have any of the clerks who have offers to return to or start at any of the firms that have delayed start dates for the incoming class heard anything? Trying to get a sense of whether the delayed start dates are going to affect post-clerkship folks. Obviously the firms are saying the delays are because of the bar exam, but as discussed elsewhere on this forum, there's a good chance that they're just saying that as a cover and it's really a money thing.
My firm said no plan to delay a couple weeks ago, but no way to say 100%. Seemed fair to me. Firm remains busy according to a couple people I've talked to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm

For what it's worth, my biglaw firm told me they would not be hiring me back at all. I worked there for one year after graduation, had good reviews, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Also worked at a biglaw firm (v50) for a few years before my clerkship, had very strong reviews and an offer to come back. Now firm is not sure if I can come back at all. I'm very angry because had I known they would be reneging on offers, I would have been applying to other firms months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 am

Reviving this thread. Previous firm is being pretty aloof about whether they're hiring me back. Curious if others are having a similar experience now that we're getting closer to the end of most folks' clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:56 pm

I have an October start date at a V-10 in NY, but one of my co-clerks was pushed back to January 2021 for a top DC firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:33 pm

on a related topic, has anybody who is set to clerk for this upcoming year been given the option to defer to the following year? I know that judges often have stacked their future hirings well in advance, but, just a matter of personal finances, it seems like it could be in a clerk's best interests to ride out the market for a year before going into the clerkship -- just to assure that they will find a landing spot post-clerkship within a reasonable time

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:56 pm
I have an October start date at a V-10 in NY, but one of my co-clerks was pushed back to January 2021 for a top DC firm.
Do you mind saying whether you and co-clerk worked before clerking or if both of you clerked immediately after graduating? Based on the longer deferment thread, it seems that people who summered at a firm and then clerked after graduating haven't had offers rescinded (though a few firms are delaying clerks into 2021 along with first years, and several others are having clerks start in the Fall). But this thread suggests people who worked at the firm before clerking are having more trouble getting info about returning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you mind saying whether you and co-clerk worked before clerking or if both of you clerked immediately after graduating? Based on the longer deferment thread, it seems that people who summered at a firm and then clerked after graduating haven't had offers rescinded (though a few firms are delaying clerks into 2021 along with first years, and several others are having clerks start in the Fall). But this thread suggests people who worked at the firm before clerking are having more trouble getting info about returning.
Not OP, but it certainly depends on the firm's financials as to whether more junior clerks are protected. I know someone at a firm that conducted associate layoffs recently and evidently the firm also rescinded return offers to all its clerks, including those who were clerking right after graduating. No one seemed spared. But this example might be only relevant to firms that are in full crisis mode.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

reviving this thread. Any updates on this? Still unsure about my start date and would appreciate others’ experiences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 pm

MTO has delayed incoming clerks alongside incoming first years to Jan 2021, but since most new associates clerk, I don't think it's much of a distinction...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Not OP, but it certainly depends on the firm's financials as to whether more junior clerks are protected. I know someone at a firm that conducted associate layoffs recently and evidently the firm also rescinded return offers to all its clerks, including those who were clerking right after graduating. No one seemed spared. But this example might be only relevant to firms that are in full crisis mode.
Out this firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Nothing from my firm. Been in touch with them but they keep delaying their answer. Relatedly, anyone had any luck with the big law market in general? I've gotten ghosted, except for two rapid rejections.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Any updates on this front?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:44 pm

I am returning on time (early fall) to my NYC office of a near-market Amlaw 200 firm with smaller classes, although the first years are pushed to January. My co-clerk is going to the LA/SF office of a V20, and s/he is pushed to joining with the first years in January. Based on all of the financial metrics, you would have expected that my firm would have pushed me while hers/his did not. But it ended up being reverse. I don't think there is any discernible pattern to be had here, and it will really depend firm to firm, just as much as the timeline and stipends for first years seems to not follow any discernible pattern as discussed in other threads, as even the profit-margin threshold has gone out the window (e.g., STB delaying to 2021 with a profit margin of 52%, but Locke Lord doing an October start with a profit margin of only 35%).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:54 pm

I'm a recent district court clerk who experienced something similar with my V20 firm. They ghosted me for a few weeks and after much prodding confirmed I wouldn't be able to return. Really had to pull teeth to get an answer. Admitted it wasn't performance based and stemmed from COVID, and that other returning clerks were in a similar position, but I know friends in the same position who were told it was performance based even if that was obviously bullshit. If your firm isn't getting back to you promptly confirming your start date, you should expect that the news is not good and begin looking. Don't even wait to be told -- just start. I know too many clerks who waited because they expected their firms to do the right thing, and they didn't. Speaking for my market, I applied to the usual list of litigation boutiques in NYC (Patterson Belknap, Binder & Shwartz, Walden Macht, Kaplan Hecker, etc.) and had some interviews and interest, but also was told that firms were not sure about their hiring needs and that some firms weren't sure they could bring me on until later in 2021. (My clerkship ended this summer.) Dinged and never heard back from a few of those firms, too. I recently accepted a position I'm excited about, but no clerkship bonus -- didn't feel like I could wait in this market.

I didn't apply to firms in NYC biglaw, but have heard other clerks who had luck with K&E, Covington, Jones Day, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”