Recommenders

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Recommenders

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 pm

How do judges view recommendations from quite academically respected professors who have never clerked themselves? I have to imagine its not too big of a deal, but would it be a good idea to include at least one professor who has clerked before?
For reference this is at a t6 school but I just happen to have the best relationships with professors who did not clerk themselves for one reason or another

Anonymous User

Re: Recommenders

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 am

FWIW, at my T30-50, one of our professors is reputed to write very effective letters of recommendations without having clerked him/herself.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:04 am

I don't think it matters. The best thing is to have a recommender who has connections to the judge(s), and clerking is one way to get that, but absolutely not the only way to get that. I suppose on the very margins, it might help a prof to be able to talk about your potential as a clerk, but regardless of clerking, they can talk about your academic abilities and personableness, and that's really what a judge wants to know. The best letter comes from someone who knows you well enough to sing your praises with convincing specificity, regardless of their background.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:08 am

It doesn't matter, at least in most cases. It's not much of a mystery what most judges are looking for in a clerk, and a great recommender will be able to write specifically and convincingly about the attributes that will make you a good clerk - good research/writing/communication skills, geniality, trustworthiness, work ethic - regardless of whether the recommender has clerked. The judge will be able to draw parallels between your recommender's stories about you and what it takes to be a law clerk (with the added benefit of knowing how the judge's specific chambers operate and what the judge prizes most highly).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”