Coa/dct 2021 odds

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kengh

Bronze

Coa/dct 2021 odds

Post by kengh » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Hey. As the title suggests, I am looking for any insight on my odds of a fed DCT/COA clerkship. I have around a 3.76 GPA at a t20 (USC, UCLA, GULC). My school doesn't rank but does do order of the coif, which I should be slightly outside of. The median GPA is around 3.3 and I am above the average GPA for COA/Dct per the clerkship office's metrics. I am not on LR, but I am on executive board positions on several journals, including EIC of one. Also president of the international moot court. I published an article in a non-law school law journal this summer and have a big law position lined up in a major market. Lastly, I am a combat veteran, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions on how I should approach applications and were I should apply are appreciated. I am not geographically constrained. Thank you in advance.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Re: Coa/dct 2021 odds

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:43 pm

kengh wrote:I am above the average GPA for COA/Dct per the clerkship office's metrics. [...] I am not geographically constrained.
You have decent-to-good chances; apply everywhere.

I'm hesitant to say it's a sure thing but you're a passable candidate for many judges and, because of the veteran angle, a rather appealing candidate for some. CoA is tough but not impossible outside of the top 10% at your school-level.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:51 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
kengh wrote:I am above the average GPA for COA/Dct per the clerkship office's metrics. [...] I am not geographically constrained.

I'm hesitant to say it's a sure thing but you're a passable candidate for many judges and, because of the veteran angle, a rather appealing candidate for some. CoA is tough but not impossible outside of the top 10% at your school-level.
Thank you for the reply. Would my chances possibly increase if I target COA/dct judges after a few years of work?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:05 pm

kengh wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Would my chances possibly increase if I target COA/dct judges after a few years of work?
For most judges, definitely, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply now if you want to clerk in 2021. I think your veteran status will be be a huge plus for some judges; mention it in your cover letters.

EDIT: Also, TYFYS (sincerely)
Last edited by LBJ's Hair on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Scooped by LBJ. Some judges like work experience in their clerks, some don't care, and some typically hire 2Ls or even 1Ls way in advance. You'll maximize your chances by applying now and then, if you strike out, taking another at-bat in a few years with some work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:34 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
kengh wrote:

For most judges, definitely, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply now if you want to clerk in 2021. I think your veteran status will be be a huge plus for some judges; mention it in your cover letters.

EDIT: Also, TYFYS (sincerely)
Thank you! I really appreciate the support!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Echo what LBJ and Airbender have said, and I'd add that some COA judges want candidates who did a D.Ct clerkship (or any clerkship) already. If you're amenable to doing both, having D.Ct from 2021 will help immensely for COA apps aimed at 2022 or further out. The obvious exception is judges who only hire people straight out of law school, but the vast majority have hired already.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:21 pm

If you weren't a veteran, I'd say COA is possible but a stretch without a D. Ct. clerkship. But being a veteran is a credential that carries a lot of weight with some judges. Considering the limited number of vets in the applicant pool with strong credentials, I think you have a realistic shot of landing a COA without a D. Ct. If you're willing to do both, I'd recommend applying for both.

I know some veterans don't like to use their status, but I think it's worth mentioning in your cover letter (and it'll obviously be on your resume). I clerked on the D. Ct. and the COA, and veteran status would have scored points with both of my judges. In fact, one of my judges seems to go out of his way to hire vets.

kengh

Bronze

Post by kengh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Thank you for all the feedback thus far everyone. I should have been more clear in that I would be interested in doing both, not just a COA. I would be aiming for 2021 Dct and 2022+ COA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:59 pm

good chance. use the veteran angle. many vet-friendly judges in competitive markets, i.e., NDIL (Tharp), EDNY (Cogan), EDVA (Allen), etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”