Officially tired of biglaw only two years in... Need a parachute. Clerkship viable with my stats? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Officially tired of biglaw only two years in... Need a parachute. Clerkship viable with my stats?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Hey guys, I never really considered clerkships due to mediocre 1L grades, although I'm now wondering if I might have a shot. If anybody has any insight as to how someone with my credentials would fare, that would be really helpful.

I went to Columbia, and was Kent 2L and 3L, although super mediocre grades 1L (pretty much straight B+). No law review, although senior position on a secondary journal. I did a couple moot courts, and I'm now a second year at a v50 firm. I anticipate pretty mediocre letters of recommendation unfortunately, as I haven't tried to keep contacts going since graduating.

Ideally I'd apply in and around New York (personal reasons), although I understand that may not be realistic and I'll have to apply to places further away. Any insight as to my chances at a NY clerkship, or any clerkship at all, would be super helpful.

Anonymous User

Re: Officially tired of biglaw only two years in... Need a parachute. Clerkship viable with my stats?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:15 am

Personal connections are going to be key in your situation, so I'd start reaching out to your academic/professional network ASAP to start re-building those connections. Don't underestimate how willing your old professors will be to help you. Most of them probably clerked and know the importance of giving their old students a leg up. Reach out to Columbia's clerkship office too (I imagine they would have a pretty good one). NYC is probably going to be tough, but if you're willing to consider D.N.J or D.Conn or state courts, you might have a shot.

Wild Card

Silver

Re: Officially tired of biglaw only two years in... Need a parachute. Clerkship viable with my stats?

Post by Wild Card » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 am

B+ is very impressive, and Kent is extremely impressive.

Plenty of judges are suckers for high grades, so you're definitely competitive.

Also, plenty of judges pay little attention to recommendations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 pm

You have slightly better stats than me (I was all B+s 1L and high Stone both 2L and 3L). I was able to get both a district court clerkship and COA clerkship, albeit starting the first one after two years of working (though I got the first one while in law school). Clerkships are definitely a possibility, but applying broadly is definitely helpful.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:43 am

Apply to Newark district courts. Many require / like experience, and not as grade selective as NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Anon-non-anon wrote:Apply to Newark district courts. Many require / like experience, and not as grade selective as NYC.
This, and expand your search to the tri-state area to include D.Conn. as well. I do think you're competitive for some judges in NYC (particularly EDNY) who require or strongly prefer experience, but as others have said, it depends on your connections and a fair amount of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Wild Card wrote:B+ is very impressive, and Kent is extremely impressive.

Plenty of judges are suckers for high grades, so you're definitely competitive.

Also, plenty of judges pay little attention to recommendations.
B+ is not at all impressive at CLS; a 3.3 1L GPA won't even get you Stone. Kent 2L/3L is great, but the weight it carries will depend on what classes you took.

It's certainly worth an app to some of the more experience-focused judges in EDNY, though I wouldn't bank on it. D. Conn. and D.N.J. are more plausible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”