New Justice's Clerks? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

New Justice's Clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Get to become SCOTUS clerks? Talk about an unexpected windfall.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: New Justice's Clerks?

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes, I believe that is how it typically works...so long as the new justice is a judge. Trump has a few on the list who aren't in a judicial role right now.

ETA: Don't know how they would handle State Supreme court judges and their clerks... presumably, the Judge may want more qualified candidates (no offense to the SSC clerks)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Will the judges on "the list" continue with hiring per usual, or would they wait to see if he begins the vetting process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:10 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Yes, I believe that is how it typically works...so long as the new justice is a judge. Trump has a few on the list who aren't in a judicial role right now.

ETA: Don't know how they would handle State Supreme court judges and their clerks... presumably, the Judge may want more qualified candidates (no offense to the SSC clerks)
I interviewed with one of the SSC judges on Trump's list. Existing clerks had great credentials and most could easily have been AIII clerks. That's a bold assumption. Despite the TLS groupthink, there are very good reasons for picking a SSC clerkship over even COA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm clerking for one of the SSC justices and will move on to a COA after. Stats are top 2% HYSCCN. She might just bump me until after the COA if an elevation happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:42 pm

Yeah I wouldn't assume that the SSC clerks are unqualified. Larsen, at least, has been sending some of her clerks to feeder COA judges for the last couple terms.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:45 pm

People here are so defensive. I take RJ to mean that, as a general statement, most SSC clerks don't have the classic qualifications to have clerked for an AIII feeder. (Obviously, there are a few chambers that are the exceptions that prove the rule.) But neither do 99.9% of law students, so ... um ... don't take it personally?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will the judges on "the list" continue with hiring per usual, or would they wait to see if he begins the vetting process?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:04 pm

I really doubt you'll get an answer to this. My judge has not hired the rest of my clerk class yet, but I'm not planning on texting him/her to ask what the plans are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:25 pm

lawlorbust wrote:People here are so defensive. I take RJ to mean that, as a general statement, most SSC clerks don't have the classic qualifications to have clerked for an AIII feeder. (Obviously, there are a few chambers that are the exceptions that prove the rule.) But neither do 99.9% of law students, so ... um ... don't take it personally?
Yeah, that was my point. Most SSC clerks don't have the credentials of AIII supreme court clerks (if some of y'all out there do, then good for you). Also can't speak for the specific clerks of those SSC judges on Trump's roster. I don't think thats a very controversial (or unrealistic) assumption.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:56 pm

Definitely cancelled an interview with a judge on Trump's list earlier this year (before the list came out) after getting an offer from a judge I thought was a better fit for me and my career path. Not even that upset right now, more laughing at the darkly comedic idea of me stumbling ass-backwards into a SCOTUS clerkship because of Donald Trump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I'll be working for one of the judges on the list in one of the upcoming terms.

Is it wrong to assume that if my Judge gets the promotion that I would have to find a new/different clerkship? It seems that a Justice would not want to have a clerk who has not yet gotten experience in an appellate court of some sort (state or federal). Or is the traditional practice to bring along the clerks to as far out as the Judge/Justice has already hired?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I wouldn't assume that the SSC clerks are unqualified. Larsen, at least, has been sending some of her clerks to feeder COA judges for the last couple terms.
Yeah, I know someone who is clerking for Larsen next term and then Sutton in 2017. She certainly has the traditional qualifications for SCOTUS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be working for one of the judges on the list in one of the upcoming terms.

Is it wrong to assume that if my Judge gets the promotion that I would have to find a new/different clerkship? It seems that a Justice would not want to have a clerk who has not yet gotten experience in an appellate court of some sort (state or federal). Or is the traditional practice to bring along the clerks to as far out as the Judge/Justice has already hired?
You're not wrong. They're not going to take a clerk w/o experience with them to the Court. It seems like the move recently has been to hire some previous Supreme Court clerks (who know the lay of the land) along with some of the judge's previous clerks.

But the new justice will usually (though not always) help re-placing the clerks and will sometimes (definitely not always) fit them in in future years.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be working for one of the judges on the list in one of the upcoming terms.

You're not wrong. They're not going to take a clerk w/o experience with them to the Court. It seems like the move recently has been to hire some previous Supreme Court clerks (who know the lay of the land) along with some of the judge's previous clerks.

But the new justice will usually (though not always) help re-placing the clerks and will sometimes (definitely not always) fit them in in future years.
This may be right, but (citation needed)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 pm

^ Does this analysis change if the clerk already has a dist. ct. clerkship lined up prior to the clerkship w/the shortlister?

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:56 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I wouldn't assume that the SSC clerks are unqualified. Larsen, at least, has been sending some of her clerks to feeder COA judges for the last couple terms.
Yeah, I know someone who is clerking for Larsen next term and then Sutton in 2017. She certainly has the traditional qualifications for SCOTUS.
Ok, and I know lots of Sutton clerks who clerked (or are going to clerk) for Sutton straight. What does your anecdote add that wasn't played out in this thread already?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:00 am

wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This may be right, but (citation needed)
Yeah, not going to parse the actual list for you, but it's all here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... ted_States

My recollection is that Roberts, Alito, Sotomayor, and Kagan each took former Supreme Court clerks in their first terms. Alito and Roberts each took some of their former clerks back in the first few years. Sotomayor, notably, did not. (Kagan had no clerks.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:50 pm

I was hired by a judge on the list after the list came out, and the judge is continuing to hire. But I have no idea what would happen to us if the judge is nominated.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was hired by a judge on the list after the list came out, and the judge is continuing to hire. But I have no idea what would happen to us if the judge is nominated.
I would cross your fingers and hope you get taken on the ride of a lifetime.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”