Questions about Interviewing During Summer Assoc. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
juliuscasear90

New

Questions about Interviewing During Summer Assoc.

Post by juliuscasear90 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 pm

1) Are firms usually pretty receptive to S.A.'s requesting to be excused for a Federal Clerkship interview? Or do then tend to be angered/annoyed by it?

2) Is it improper to request a phone or video interview instead if its too expensive/inconvenient to travel and/or not excused by the firm?

Thanks!

Br3v

Gold

Re: Questions about Interviewing During Summer Assoc.

Post by Br3v » Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 pm

juliuscasear90 wrote:1) Are firms usually pretty receptive to S.A.'s requesting to be excused for a Federal Clerkship interview? Or do then tend to be angered/annoyed by it?

2) Is it improper to request a phone or video interview instead if its too expensive/inconvenient to travel and/or not excused by the firm?

Thanks!
(1) I imagine this depends on how open your firm is to clerkships in general.
(2) Thats fine to request that, though I'd make clear that you are willing to travel if the Judge requires.

juliuscasear90

New

Post by juliuscasear90 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:30 pm

K thx.

Yea 50k bonus like most other firms so I'd imagine they are in favor.

Agreed. If you get the interview have to be willing to go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 05, 2016 8:47 pm

What kind of firm are you at?

Odds are, they will probably bring this up during the summer. I summered at a v10 in NYC, and they had lunch presentations about clerkships, etc. They even had a time entry code for time we spent working on clerkship applications. They let us use firm postage materials and support staff to send out paper apps haha. Suffice to say, they would have let us take a day off for a clerkship interview.

elipad

New

Post by elipad » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 pm

Just to echo what others have said, the firm should be fine with this assuming it's one that pays the 50k bonus and is in a major city (i.e., there are more than just a couple of summer associates to work on stuff). I must have missed at least a week of work for interviews (esp. because some were on the opposite coast). But, it never hurts to ask before it arises. I even offered to work remotely, which wasn't even necessary (but they appreciated the offer).

Regarding your second question, I'd caution you against doing interviews via Skype. It's totally acceptable to ask, of course, but I have found those applicants to be harder to get the offer. One of my judges explicitly offered this upfront, but it never worked out for applicants who went that route (any year). The judge stated something to the effect of: "it's hard to tell someone's personality when it's not in person." I think this is right. Plus, when you meet so many qualified individuals, it's easier to push for the candidates that you actually met. Now, before I get angry responses, yes many clerks have received offers after doing Skype/phone interviews. I just think that if you can swing an in-person interview, I'd definitely go that route.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 09, 2016 9:33 am

One of my firms (v5) gave me paid days off for clerkship interviews. My second firm permitted me to leave, but did not pay me for a full day missed (meaning, missing a day traveling to an interview cost me $700 in addition to plane fare, travel expenses, ect.). I don't think one firm was more or less receptive to clerkships than the other, just different policies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”