V5 Policies on Clerking Three Years Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

V5 Policies on Clerking Three Years

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:53 pm

Hello,

I accepted my V5 offer from last summer, and have a district court clerkship lined up for the year after I graduate. I have two interviews coming up for 2-year COA clerkships, to commence after my DC clerkship. Let's say I get lucky and get one of them.

What is the policy of the V5 (OK, just Vs 3–5) on clerking three years? I realize the clerkship bonus only covers two years. My firm's website doesn't say whether, if someone clerks three years: (a) the firm will still take her/him back; and (b) whether that person still gets the two-year clerkship bonus.

Thanks!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Re: V5 Policies on Clerking Three Years

Post by Clyde Frog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I accepted my V5 offer from last summer, and have a district court clerkship lined up for the year after I graduate. I have two interviews coming up for 2-year COA clerkships, to commence after my DC clerkship. Let's say I get lucky and get one of them.

What is the policy of the V5 (OK, just Vs 3–5) on clerking three years? I realize the clerkship bonus only covers two years. My firm's website doesn't say whether, if someone clerks three years: (a) the firm will still take her/him back; and (b) whether that person still gets the two-year clerkship bonus.

Thanks!

[youtube]NHuGG_FsC20[/youtube]

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: V5 Policies on Clerking Three Years

Post by rpupkin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:27 am

There's no "V5" policy; this is all firm-dependent (and in some cases applicant-dependent).

My guess is that they'll give you a $70K bonus for your district court + COA clerkship. And they'll probably give you two years (not three years) of service credit, which means you'd come in as a third-year associate.

As for whether they'll "take you back," it depends on what the firm's hiring needs are at the time. They'll probably want you back if lit isn't slow.

Just so you know, that two-year COA clerkship is going to cost you about $250K, so I hope you really want to do it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”