Transfer student question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Manali

Bronze

Transfer student question

Post by Manali » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:57 am

If you are a transfer student, do you have to list your old school on your resume or just the degree-granting school? I plan on submitting transcripts will will indicate that I transferred 35 credits, but I was just wondering if it was necessary to disclose on the resume. Spoke to the Dean of my school this morning and he said that it was actually unethical not to list the school you completed your 1L year at on your resume.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Transfer student question

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Why do you not trust what your dean told you?

(From what people have said about this here, he's right, at least for applications you submit while in school. A number of people have said that after graduation you can leave your original school off, but not till then.)

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Why do you not trust what your dean told you?

(From what people have said about this here, he's right, at least for applications you submit while in school. A number of people have said that after graduation you can leave your original school off, but not till then.)
I showed my resume to the counselor at Career Strategies and she said that just listing the degree granting school is fine.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:00 pm

It looks like some people care and some don't. The ones that don't care won't have a problem if you do include your original school, the ones that do care will have a problem if you don't.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:03 pm

You should disclose. It will almost seem like you're trying to hide the ball, so to speak, if you don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 pm

To OP: based on your dean's advice I'd leave it on.

I've got a somewhat related question: I went to a junior college for two years to play football. I typically leave the junior college off my resume because it doesn't add anything and I fear it'll give the impression that my high school grades were bad or whatever. They were fine, I just wasn't good enough to get an athletic scholarship from a 4 year school. For a bit I left it on just for something to talk about, but it didn't spark any discussion about football. And even if it had, junior college was a long time ago and I really don't think about football much now, so I wouldn't have much to say. Is it cool to leave the junior college off my resume?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To OP: based on your dean's advice I'd leave it on.

I've got a somewhat related question: I went to a junior college for two years to play football. I typically leave the junior college off my resume because it doesn't add anything and I fear it'll give the impression that my high school grades were bad or whatever. They were fine, I just wasn't good enough to get an athletic scholarship from a 4 year school. For a bit I left it on just for something to talk about, but it didn't spark any discussion about football. And even if it had, junior college was a long time ago and I really don't think about football much now, so I wouldn't have much to say. Is it cool to leave the junior college off my resume?
Yes.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:33 am

Is it OK if I just list my old school and say "Completed 35 credits" without listing my (sh*tty) GPA from my old school-which isn't even factored into my cumulative GPA?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Just lol. Quit trying to cheat the system and take some some responsibility. No one in their right mind would appreciate you trying to con them by not disclosing your situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Tons of people don't list GPAs on their resume but if you don't go to a school that doesn't give GPAs then everyone is just going to assume the first one sucked probably.

Lol just realized this is in the clerkship forum.
Last edited by xael on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:30 pm

If you're including transcripts you don't have to list it on the resume, but if someone thinks your GPA includes 1L because of your resume and then finds out that isn't true they're probably not going to trust you, and will automatically cross you off.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Flashbacks of Blue Lotus asking if she could list a school that she was a visiting student at on her resume instead of BC.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 pm

I guess there needs to be somewhere on earth where unhinged law students go to ask maniacal question after maniacal question. But why does it have to be here?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm

The original question is one that gets asked here all the time. But I think reasonable answers have been provided.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”