Question for Bankruptcy Clerks-How to Answer Why Bankruptcy? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Question for Bankruptcy Clerks-How to Answer Why Bankruptcy?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 pm

"Why bankruptcy?" - I was curious what a good answer to this would be?

My work and academic experiences my resume clearly shows that I am interested in bankruptcy (i.e. note on Ch. 15, internships w/bankruptcy judges, advanced bankruptcy classes, etc.). But I don't know how to exactly answer WHY bankruptcy.

Would something along the lines of - Going in to law school I knew I wanted to do something corporate related and I interned with a bankruptcy judge over my 1L summer and was enjoyed the work so I decided to take bankruptcy/write my note on bankruptcy. After taking the intro class and writing my note I thought this was something could consider practicing once I graduated. As a result I signed up for advanced bankruptcy classes and obtained a second internship with a bankruptcy judge. After that semester of working with the code on almost a daily basis I knew bankruptcy was what I wanted to pursue...

Or when asking this question do you look for something specific? i.e. working with a code, the hybrid nature of bankruptcy, etc.??

Anyways I was just curious what others' thoughts were on this question. Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Question for Bankruptcy Clerks-How to Answer Why Bankruptcy?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:28 pm

What I love about bankruptcy practice is the highly expedited nature of the proceedings and the fact that it's a court of equity: the bench is intimately involved with working toward consensual plans, which means we're all geeking out on bankruptcy issues together.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Incredibly collaborative process between opposing parties. Rarely acrimonious (relative to general commercial litigation). Everybody knows everybody.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:31 pm

I am just finishing up a BK clerkship and I actually keep a list of "why bankruptcy?" answers on my phone. Some of these have come up organically and some I have stolen from attorneys I had informational meetings with (its a good question to ask during info interviews, if only to steal what they say). Here is what I have:

I like that it is code based--just makes more sense to me than some other areas of the law

I like that it is a mix of transactional and litigation

I like the variety of issues that come up--always seems to be working on a new legal issue or in a new area of the law since BK tends to pull in other areas of the law. Harvey Miller actually described it as "the last bastion of the generalist" and I kind of like that (source: http://www.chambers-associate.com/Artic ... eArea/1209 really good idea to read the chambers associate write up--will give you more ideas of ways to answer this question without sounding silly)

Like the way business is done in the bankruptcy court--parties in BK court are (generally--i.e. except for divorced couples) concerned with getting down to business and getting the deal done without the unproductive legal posturing/wrangling that you sometimes see in general commercial litigation. Judges are concerned with conserving estate resources and moving the case along so things are often more streamlined in court (trials/evidentiary hearings are streamlined).

There are lots of opportunities for motions practice in court.

I think there are advantages to working in federal court as opposed to state court.

It happens to be what I am good at (if you have some good BK credentials I don't think there is anything wrong with saying "I like it because I am good at it")

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Is "Because this country's on a one-way track to hell and somebody's got to take advantage, amiright?" too honest?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is "Because this country's on a one-way track to hell and somebody's got to take advantage, amiright?" too honest?
That's an SPS answer. Most Ch 11s emerge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is "Because this country's on a one-way track to hell and somebody's got to take advantage, amiright?" too honest?
Sure....helping a chapter 7/13 debtor save her house or helping a business emerge from chapter 11 is great way to "take advantage" of them. Get out of here with that garbage.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by BVest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”