Contacting current clerks? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Contacting current clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Is it totally inappropriate to contact a current clerk? A guy I knew in law school (we weren't best friends, but we would always say hi in the halls, etc) is currently clerking for a judge that is at the top of my list. If I reached out to him, he'd likely pull my app and give it extra attention, so I'd hate to lose out on that opportunity. But I have heard that reaching out to current clerks is not appropriate.

Any thoughts?

justinp

Bronze

Re: Contacting current clerks?

Post by justinp » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Go for it. Don't be annoying or anything but let him know you're interested in the job.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:45 pm

I think it's totally appropriate; people contacted me when I was clerking. If someone I had literally no connection to contacted me it would be a little weird, but as long as you've met them or you share a law school or something, I think it's totally fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 am

I would be glad to talk to anyone who contacted me about my clerkship. I think everyone clerk I know at my court would be too. No idea why it would be inappropriate.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it totally inappropriate to contact a current clerk? A guy I knew in law school (we weren't best friends, but we would always say hi in the halls, etc) is currently clerking for a judge that is at the top of my list. If I reached out to him, he'd likely pull my app and give it extra attention, so I'd hate to lose out on that opportunity. But I have heard that reaching out to current clerks is not appropriate.

Any thoughts?
I agree, you should go for it. The only time I think it would be inappropriate to directly contact a law clerk is if you are an attorney in a case and the judge has a no contact policy with the law clerks. You can always ask your law school OCS for assistance. The OCS at my school recently contacted me to see if I would be willing to talk to a potential candidate for my judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”