Disclose Poker History to Clerkship Interview Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Disclose Poker History to Clerkship Interview Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I've explained my belief re possible downsides multiple times. One of the reasons alums are being hired with increasing frequency (at least at my court) is that judges have had experiences suggesting that even the most accomplished of law students can struggle with the work. The point is that, in such a world, it might behoove a law student to make his application appear more professional, and less student-like. Everyone else in this thread is convinced of career services office's advice on this, and that's understandable. Just giving an opinion, which has given rise to some very defensive responses.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've explained my belief re possible downsides multiple times. One of the reasons alums are being hired with increasing frequency (at least at my court) is that judges have had experiences suggesting that even the most accomplished of law students can struggle with the work. The point is that, in such a world, it might behoove a law student to make his application appear more professional, and less student-like. Everyone else in this thread is convinced of career services office's advice on this, and that's understandable. Just giving an opinion, which has given rise to some very defensive responses.
As I said above, it seems ridiculous to me that a judge would who wants alums would hire a student because they don't have an interests section or anything else that supposedly made them appear more professional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm

"As I said above, it seems ridiculous to me that a judge would who wants alums would hire a student because they don't have an interests section or anything else that supposedly made them appear more professional."

Bit incoherent, but I'll bite. Every judge is different. I, like you, strongly doubt any judge or clerk would focus especially on a resume without an "interests" section and think, "Jee, well this person MUST be serious, give him a job!" but here's the thing: What I've seen from a lot of student resumes, as compared to lawyers', is a lack of focused detail in describing substantive legal experience. Part of this is inevitable, given students' relative lack of experience, but it is still possible in most cases to: (a) give more fine-grained useful detail about internships, clinics, and etc. than most law students end up doing; and (b) thereby create a more meaningful resume that maybe, JUST MAYBE, doesn't need an "Interests" section to fill it out.

Keep on keeping on with your crocheting, table tennis, and Magic the Gathering, all. I, for one, love to hear about my friends' interests.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"As I said above, it seems ridiculous to me that a judge would who wants alums would hire a student because they don't have an interests section or anything else that supposedly made them appear more professional."

Bit incoherent, but I'll bite. Every judge is different. I, like you, strongly doubt any judge or clerk would focus especially on a resume without an "interests" section and think, "Jee, well this person MUST be serious, give him a job!" but here's the thing: What I've seen from a lot of student resumes, as compared to lawyers', is a lack of focused detail in describing substantive legal experience. Part of this is inevitable, given students' relative lack of experience, but it is still possible in most cases to: (a) give more fine-grained useful detail about internships, clinics, and etc. than most law students end up doing; and (b) thereby create a more meaningful resume that maybe, JUST MAYBE, doesn't need an "Interests" section to fill it out.

Keep on keeping on with your crocheting, table tennis, and Magic the Gathering, all. I, for one, love to hear about my friends' interests.
Why is giving that more fine-grained useful detail incompatible with having an interests section? Again, no one has said you should include interests at the expense of anything else. It's not an either/or situation.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:30 pm

This is a really idiotic argument even by TLS standards. Putting interests on your resume isn't "weird."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 pm

"This is a really idiotic argument even by TLS standards. Putting interests on your resume isn't "weird."

Never said it was "weird," little megaposter fella.

Space on a one page resume is limited. I've often had trouble fitting everything into that single page, even when I've used very small font.

Not sure why this silly thread persists. After taking issue with the original contention that it was "essential" to have this resume section (berating some 0L for his ignorance, no less) and explaining that I and others I know haven't include this in their successful clerkship applications, I had said most of what I needed to say. Are you a cabal of law school OCS dogma police? Calm yo'selves, chillun, I won't covertly log onto your computers to edit your resumes in your sleep, I promise. The judge is gonna know that you play ultimate frisbee.

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is a really idiotic argument even by TLS standards.
Even by TLS standards? :) But seriously, just let it lie. This dead horse is sufficiently beaten.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"This is a really idiotic argument even by TLS standards. Putting interests on your resume isn't "weird."

Space on a one page resume is limited. I've often had trouble fitting everything into that single page, even when I've used very small font.

Not sure why this silly thread persists. After taking issue with the original contention that it was "essential" to have this resume section (berating some 0L for his ignorance, no less) and explaining that I and others I know haven't include this in their successful clerkship applications, I had said most of what I needed to say. Are you a cabal of law school OCS dogma police? Calm yo'selves, chillun, I won't covertly log onto your computers to edit your resumes in your sleep, I promise. The judge is gonna know that you play ultimate frisbee.
1. A law student is, by definition, not yet a professional lawyer. If you were a practicing attorney seeking a clerkship or any other position, you wouldn't include a resume line explaining that you go deep-sea diving every summer. Why? Because it would look strange and you would have enough actually pertinent things to fill up a one page CV such that it would be a waste of space or seem out of place.
I'm sorry, you said "strange" not "weird." My apologies. Also, the dude walked back the "essential" thing on like the same page he posted it. This argument isn't about whether or not its an "essential" thing to have on the resume, its about your pushing this idea that it's somehow bizarre or out of place to include an interests section.

You're treading on thin ice with some of these posts since there's not really any confidential information being shared and you're basically using the anonymous feature to be an ass behind a curtain. That's not the purpose of anon. Chill out on the personal attacks and the snide comments.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(I like to golf but am wary of people who list that interest). My judge could care less.
1. Why?

2. As long as we're being needlessly pedantic, I think you meant to say that your judge *couldn't* care less.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]"This is a really idiotic argument even by TLS standards. Putting interests on your resume isn't "weird."

Then I guess you suck at making a resume. No one in law school has so much relevant experience that they can't spare a line for interests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm sorry you feel I've been making abusive comments. Not my intention, though my views have been characterized as "idiotic," "needlessly pedantic," "ridiculous," "crazy," and, most crushing to my ego, that I "suck at writing resumes." I was just trying to share my opinion, gleaned from personal experience and, in doing so, responded to some very heated posters, perhaps with an ill-advised degree of sarcasm. I wish you all the best, and encourage deep breaths.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(I like to golf but am wary of people who list that interest). My judge could care less.
1. Why?

2. As long as we're being needlessly pedantic, I think you meant to say that your judge *couldn't* care less.
But seriously, why? I do this, and I want to know if there are other people out there like you.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm

The downsides you mention have nothing to do with an interests section itself and more with the content of the rest of the resume. I have no argument with the idea that students can and should appear more professional to the extent they can. An interests section is not inconsistent with that in the least, though. An interests section isn't just there to fill out a resume and take up space.

Basically same comment as anonymouse earlier.

For me It's simple. No one's saying if you don't have an interests section you won't get hired anywhere. Obv not true. But to the extent that you have suggested there's a downside to one, it hasn't been very convincing. Have you ever dinged someone for having an interests section if their resume was otherwise "professional"? If not, that's my point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 pm

I highly doubt you don't realize your own abrasiveness when you are making snippy comments such as "little megaposter fella" and "happy megaposting."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:48 pm

I wholeheartedly apologize for those statements. Sorry for hijacking this thread, it was juvenile. I still have my own (deeply unpopular) opinion about this aspect of the clerkship resume. But many of you have identified real flaws in my logic, and I acknowledge the validity of your critique. Thanks for the dialogue and, again, sorry I got a little snippy.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:18 am

S'all good, brother. We're all trying to help people out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”