Let's talk 2nd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 2nd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:12 pm

Did Cogan or Castel move yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:58 pm

Did anyone hear anything from Cogan (for his 2025 posting), Chen, Choudhury, or Merle?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:07 am

With the unfortunate passing of Judge Pooler what happens to her future clerks? I noticed that she hired for 2023 and 2024 and maybe even later. I know, of course, it is a little crude to focus on this, but her passing in August probably left some recent grads in a lurch—i.e., they just moved/graduated to clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:07 am
With the unfortunate passing of Judge Pooler what happens to her future clerks? I noticed that she hired for 2023 and 2024 and maybe even later. I know, of course, it is a little crude to focus on this, but her passing in August probably left some recent grads in a lurch—i.e., they just moved/graduated to clerk.
Don't know what the deal is for the future Pooler clerks, but I heard that when Judge Hall passed, the clerks he lined up were on their own. I'd assume current clerks are sort of absorbed by other chambers, but if you didn't start, I think you'd have to go back to the drawing board. Would definitely be really devastating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't know what the deal is for the future Pooler clerks, but I heard that when Judge Hall passed, the clerks he lined up were on their own. I'd assume current clerks are sort of absorbed by other chambers, but if you didn't start, I think you'd have to go back to the drawing board. Would definitely be really devastating.
Man that sucks. Anyone have any personal experience dealing with something like this and how did it end up for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Man that sucks. Anyone have any personal experience dealing with something like this and how did it end up for you?
If you've already started, you will be either placed into another chambers and/or cycled amongst chambers, not necessarily for as long as your term would have been for but usually until such time as your former chambers wraps up closing up. Future terms are in a lurch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:48 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If you've already started, you will be either placed into another chambers and/or cycled amongst chambers, not necessarily for as long as your term would have been for but usually until such time as your former chambers wraps up closing up. Future terms are in a lurch.
Does this mean you could end up clerking for only a half term or something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:33 am

I know that Pooler had hired for 2025-2026 too. I think her future clerks are left to find other clerkships/jobs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is honestly one of my bigger fears after signing a lease and moving in especially when the death is so sudden.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Does this mean you could end up clerking for only a half term or something?
Potentially, varies by situation. The chief judge typically is able to absorb the existing, state-less clerks and retain them in the court for a period of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:19 pm

There obviously isn’t any information yet about clerking for him as a District Judge, but does anyone know what Judge Reyes’ reputation was like as a Magistrate Judge (in terms of commitment to mentorship, treating clerks humanely, general clerkship environment)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:07 pm

Heard he was a great judge to work for -- very into mentoring and very humane. Don't know if he placed any ex-clerks into DOJ/AUSA roles, though he's a former SDNY AUSA, but he's well-regarded as a really nice guy. Decently loyal to Brooklyn Law in hiring

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:37 pm

Anyone have a good/mediocre/avoid list for the CA2 judges, especially those in NY?

Also, which ones are a bit more attainable?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:37 pm
Anyone have a good/mediocre/avoid list for the CA2 judges, especially those in NY?

More attainable ones in NYC are Eunice Lee and Denny Chin, I've seen them interview and hire people who may not have the grades for other NYC circuit judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:56 pm

Doesn't Chin hire almost all Fordham grads?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Menashi, Lee, and Perez don’t necessarily care much about grades for candidates with the right ideological credentials. Chin, Parker, and Wesley hire some clerks a good number of CA2 judges would auto-reject based on grades. From her first class I don’t think Kahn will be particularly selective but first classes are usually not representative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

By good/mediocre/avoid, do you mean intellectual firepower or work environment, or some combination?

Most of the judges on CA2, active or senior, are at or near the top tier nationally for firepower. It’s CA2. I think in general the work environments tend to be decent to excellent, with a notable exception being Lohier, who is low-key a bad boss.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:56 pm
Explains the quality of the work product

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:56 pm
Explains the quality of the work product
To be fair, I don't think Chin is noticeably worse than the other judges who aren't very selective. Pooler, Chin, Lee, Parker, Wesley etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly, once you start hearing about how people get hired and then doing the hiring, you realize that many of the 2nd Circuit judges are attainable if you're like within the top 25% and have the right connection. The key is having the right connection. Obviously, there are exceptions to that like Sullivan or whatever, but that's what I've seen at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly, once you start hearing about how people get hired and then doing the hiring, you realize that many of the 2nd Circuit judges are attainable if you're like within the top 25% and have the right connection. The key is having the right connection. Obviously, there are exceptions to that like Sullivan or whatever, but that's what I've seen at least.
Sullivan is not much of a grade or school snob. The CA2 judges who are generally not attainable absent a truly outstanding record are: Lohier, Livingston, Kearse, Leval, Calabresi, Nathan. My sense is that since Katzann's passing, Lohier is both clearly the top feeder on CA2 and the most difficult clerkship to land, though he favors candidates with an academic background, which may make up for a less than perfect grades/school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:48 pm

Which CA2 judges are tough bosses? Heard of some names - Perez, Raggi, Lee

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:34 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Sullivan is not much of a grade or school snob. The CA2 judges who are generally not attainable absent a truly outstanding record are: Lohier, Livingston, Kearse, Leval, Calabresi, Nathan. My sense is that since Katzann's passing, Lohier is both clearly the top feeder on CA2 and the most difficult clerkship to land, though he favors candidates with an academic background, which may make up for a less than perfect grades/school.
Sullivan is very selective. Also Park definitely should be on this list and Leval should not (at least anymore). Lohier’s hiring is idiosyncratic so it’s hard to compare him to e.g. Nathan who is more traditional. He’s undoubtedly a judge who *could* be extremely traditionally selective if he wanted to but he has some other priorities; a Lohier class might have both a T6 summa EIC and someone who didn’t get Latin honors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:31 pm

Sullivan is not nearly as traditionally selective as the other judges on this list if you look at his hires. E.g., Sullivan would hire someone who is outside top 10% of Georgetown or someone from UT. Lohier would not. Agree that Park should be on the list, but Leval is also weirdly selective still, despite his age.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:51 pm

Well no one from Penn can get CA2

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”