Writing Sample Excerpt of Note Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawschoolftw

Bronze

Writing Sample Excerpt of Note

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Is it okay to use an excerpted version of a Note as a writing sample? I have a Note that's going to be published in the next few months that I feel confident in, but the requirements limit the WS length to 20 pages. I think the Note sets up nicely to just cut off the "recommendation" section and leave the rest of it which is mostly legal analysis and a critique of a SCOTUS decision.

On an unrelated Note is it appropriate to put a pending publication on a resume?

Thanks all.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Writing Sample Excerpt of Note

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 pm

My understanding is that both are perfectly fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 am

Piggybacking on that question -- if the requirements don't say so explicitly, is a piece about 30 pages long (double-spaced) acceptable? (Submitting it as a Note). The clerkship office says not to worry, judges will read as much as they want and then put it down if need be, but I'm concerned since the first 7-8 pages (after the Introduction) spend time setting the background, and I don't get into the meat until a bit later.

The problem is that the piece doesn't really lend itself well to excerpting an entire section...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:48 pm

I've heard from numerous former clerks that one way of possibly getting "off the pile" of hundreds of apps is to be one with a print-journal-version of a published Note. That is, sending the entire journal issue in which your note is published. Now, practices vary from office to office + this doesn't quite answer your question, but I used it to justify sending in my full note to a few judges, without excerpting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”