Most liberal federal judges? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Most liberal federal judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:33 pm

Beyond circle jerking on here, hard to see how an occasional scotus hire really changes anything for Cabranes / Calabresi. The only reason “feeders” are generally thought to be more valuable clerkships for the long haul is because of (1) actual odds of getting to scotus, (2) their general stature if their feeding is the result of that, (3) general competitiveness of clerkship / co clerks. (1) is irrelevant here because your odds are not changed in this environment; left leaning clerks from any well respected judge have similar odds — low ones. (2) Calabresi is better known by a bit but all three are roughly similar in reputation. This is the only relevant distinction. (3) They’re all hiring the same people pretty much—mostly HYS top 1/3 qualified center-left academically minded people with excellent credentials but not gunning for scotus / at the very tip top of their class.

Lynch gets a bad rap on here but honestly she’s nice and an excellent judge. Carney can be difficult too from what I’ve heard.
Can you elaborate? I haven’t heard any accounts of Carney that are anything other than glowing (friendly, nice, very very smart, liberal but not extremely so, etc.) from folks at my school, so this is interesting. The only downside I’ve heard about is having to be in New Haven for the year lol

Given the recent CA2 appointees, would she fall somewhere near the middle ideologically on CA2 (but still decidedly liberal)?
Carney is probably to the left of the Biden appointees by a bit. I don’t think she’s that close to the median, it’s more or less an evenly-divided circuit, making the median someone with no discernible leaning like Parker or Kearse.
Kearse is to the right of Parker, by far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:33 pm

Beyond circle jerking on here, hard to see how an occasional scotus hire really changes anything for Cabranes / Calabresi. The only reason “feeders” are generally thought to be more valuable clerkships for the long haul is because of (1) actual odds of getting to scotus, (2) their general stature if their feeding is the result of that, (3) general competitiveness of clerkship / co clerks. (1) is irrelevant here because your odds are not changed in this environment; left leaning clerks from any well respected judge have similar odds — low ones. (2) Calabresi is better known by a bit but all three are roughly similar in reputation. This is the only relevant distinction. (3) They’re all hiring the same people pretty much—mostly HYS top 1/3 qualified center-left academically minded people with excellent credentials but not gunning for scotus / at the very tip top of their class.

Lynch gets a bad rap on here but honestly she’s nice and an excellent judge. Carney can be difficult too from what I’ve heard.
Can you elaborate? I haven’t heard any accounts of Carney that are anything other than glowing (friendly, nice, very very smart, liberal but not extremely so, etc.) from folks at my school, so this is interesting. The only downside I’ve heard about is having to be in New Haven for the year lol

Given the recent CA2 appointees, would she fall somewhere near the middle ideologically on CA2 (but still decidedly liberal)?
Carney is probably to the left of the Biden appointees by a bit. I don’t think she’s that close to the median, it’s more or less an evenly-divided circuit, making the median someone with no discernible leaning like Parker or Kearse.
Kearse is to the right of Parker, by far.
This doesn’t match my experience but ymmv. I do think they’re non-ideological in different ways—Kearse is a formalist/minimalist and just follows precedent, Parker is much less formalist but not in a way that’s consistently liberal or conservative. In other words, Kearse is Souteresque, Parker is Kennedyesque.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:11 pm

Do any of the above mentioned liberal feeder judges hire off plan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Almost all of them hire grads off plan, almost none of them hire law students off plan

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Almost all of them hire grads off plan, almost none of them hire law students off plan
Not true. All of them will hire law students off plan, so long as they have the right connections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”