Has a law school pitched IBR to you? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
bryce_wilson_stucki

New

Has a law school pitched IBR to you?

Post by bryce_wilson_stucki » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a story for The American Prospect magazine on IBR, PAYE, and law schools. Last winter, IBR and PAYE became substantially more generous for high-debt borrowers working in the private sector. In fact, the programs are now so generous that a significant proportion of law students unable to find high-paying work after graduation will likely end up paying off only a small percentage of their federal loans. For this and other reasons, some law schools made IBR part of their recent sales pitch to prospective students, advising them not to worry about the cost of attendance, even in the face of a weak job market, because IBR will insure them against a bad outcome (which is largely true). Some law schools are also disseminating this information to current students.

I'd like to interview prospective or incoming students who have dealt with a school that pitched them IBR or current students who have seen IBR pitched by their school. The interview can be anonymous, or completely off the record used only for background information. If you're interested or want to discuss other relevant information, please let me know and we can set up an interview.

Thanks!
Bryce Wilson Stucki

IAFG

Platinum

Re: Has a law school pitched IBR to you?

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Man I hope this doesn't end up being well-written and politically inflammatory.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I love how the same people who are against ever using IBR and snub their nose at any one who discussing the idea of using it, tend to be the first ones to go "oh no you didn't" in defense of it (due to, and only to, it being from Obama)

Such is what I have seen............ :roll:

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:09 pm

My thought is that IBR is a good idea since it will help prevent the defaults (for those smart enough to actually sign up for it while unemploymed/underemployed). The idea of being a laywer who needs it for awhile may seems an ego blow to some, but being in default with blown credit and trying to explain it to character&fitness I suspect would be worse........

The con of course is the higher interest rate, but you can always switch off it later too once you get decent full time work. Take it if you even think you might need it, if not then you don't even qualify so who cares I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”