Wake Forest University Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
slawww

Silver

Re: Wake Forest University Class of 2016

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 am

The FB group is starting to look pretty solid now!
whitese51 wrote:
I won't speculate on how rankings will be affected by the B-school's move, but I've heard that our building is going to be remodeled and they want to put the clinics (currently located all over W-S) in the B-school side...

Also, I'm a current 2L- let me know if you have any other questions :) Like tstyler, I have lived in Crowne Park. I love it, but there are definitely cheaper and closer options, like Deacon Ridge and renting a house. Take the time to explore your options, you pretty much have until the end of House Hunt to decide.
What would be your top recommendation for a 1 bedroom apartment? Crownes look really nice, but seem pretty pricey. Are the other options that much cheaper/worth being farther from campus, etc.?

whitese51

New

Post by whitese51 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 pm

slawww wrote:
What would be your top recommendation for a 1 bedroom apartment? Crownes look really nice, but seem pretty pricey. Are the other options that much cheaper/worth being farther from campus, etc.?
For cheaper 1 bedrooms, I would take a look at Providence Pointe. It's a little further down Reynolda Rd from Wake, but I've heard that it's nice and I considered moving there last year. The 1 bedrooms are about $150 cheaper a month than mine, and not much smaller. I could even get a 2 bedroom at PP for $50 less than I'm paying now. But if you're really into crown moldings, chair rails in the dining room, high ceilings, and other nice touches, Crowne is the way to go.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:24 pm

I have several friends who live at Providence Pointe and they really like it. It's slightly further from campus, but not too far. Also, if you want to live at one of the Crownes (or a few others) and you want to save money by not driving to school, there is the free shuttle. It picks up at each of the Crownes (and a few other places) and drops off near the law school (and vice versa). Several people do that and like not having to pay $500 to park on campus or $300 to park just off campus.

rwilson37643

New

Post by rwilson37643 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:20 pm

greetings all, I was accepted yesterday and plan to attend open house on April 5. I will most likely attend Wake this fall.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 pm

rwilson37643 wrote:greetings all, I was accepted yesterday and plan to attend open house on April 5. I will most likely attend Wake this fall.

Congrats! I got the email notification of the decision delay last week (which also said I would hear back "mid next week"). Well, it's Thursday afternoon, and still nothing. How were you notified of your acceptance (if you don't mind saying)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwilson37643

New

Post by rwilson37643 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 am

e-mail wed around 4

rwilson37643

New

Post by rwilson37643 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Did everyone get their scholly apps in today?

ajceberio

New

Post by ajceberio » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Starting to get excited! Sent in my seat deposit a few weeks ago but its starting to feel like its right around the corner!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ENGLShred7

New

Post by ENGLShred7 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:00 am

Checking in. Been accepted for a few months now and I've finally made the decision. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

ENGLShred7 wrote:Checking in. Been accepted for a few months now and I've finally made the decision. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Join the facebook group! :)

rexfesler

New

Post by rexfesler » Mon May 13, 2013 5:56 pm

Hey, everyone. I am a rising 2L (or ex-1L or dying 1L or whatever). I remember tstyler98 gave me tons of help when I was a rising 1L (or ex-0L or happy 0L or whatever). It is awesome to see 3Ls like tstyler98 here helping out new people. I think I should take over this love and pass it down. So if you have any question regarding the upcoming top-law-schools.com, welcome to contact me here. I am glad to provide my personal opinion. :D :D :D :D :D

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 am

rexfesler wrote:Hey, everyone. I am a rising 2L (or ex-1L or dying 1L or whatever). I remember tstyler98 gave me tons of help when I was a rising 1L (or ex-0L or happy 0L or whatever). It is awesome to see 3Ls like tstyler98 here helping out new people. I think I should take over this love and pass it down. So if you have any question regarding the upcoming top-law-schools.com, welcome to contact me here. I am glad to provide my personal opinion. :D :D :D :D :D
Hey rexfesler - thanks for offering to lend us newbie 0Ls some knowledge. I have a few questions...

-Law school workload gets a lot of hype... Realistically, how many hours a week do you (should you) spend on homework?
-In order to be in the top 15% of the class, GPA has to be around _._?
-How are the law journals at Wake? Is it very difficult to get published?
-What is a typical Wake law class like? This probably sounds like a stupid question, but... is it mostly lectures, or more deliberative? Mostly study and application of theory, or simulation of situations a lawyer should expect to encounter?

Thanks again!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
rexfesler wrote:Hey, everyone. I am a rising 2L (or ex-1L or dying 1L or whatever). I remember tstyler98 gave me tons of help when I was a rising 1L (or ex-0L or happy 0L or whatever). It is awesome to see 3Ls like tstyler98 here helping out new people. I think I should take over this love and pass it down. So if you have any question regarding the upcoming top-law-schools.com, welcome to contact me here. I am glad to provide my personal opinion. :D :D :D :D :D
Hey rexfesler - thanks for offering to lend us newbie 0Ls some knowledge. I have a few questions...

-Law school workload gets a lot of hype... Realistically, how many hours a week do you (should you) spend on homework?
-What is a typical Wake law class like? This probably sounds like a stupid question, but... is it mostly lectures, or more deliberative? Mostly study and application of theory, or simulation of situations a lawyer should expect to encounter?

Thanks again!
I can try to answer these.

Workload: During 1L year, I got to school about 7:30 and left between 3 and 5, depending on the day. I tried to do work during most of that time, but I did take breaks. I'd read for class, work on Legal Writing stuff, and starting about mid/late October outline. During the week, I tried to not have to take anything home except for Legal Writing stuff when a brief/memo was close to being due. On weekends, I'd bring home whatever I needed to work on for Monday's classes.

Rank: Top 20% is usually about an 89. I'm not sure about 15%.

Journals: I was on Law Review. I was a staff member my 2L year and an Executive Editor my 3L year. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but there are definitely things that can suck and take up a lot of time. But I wouldn't change it.

Only about 5-6 students get published by our Law Review each year, and those are all members of the Law Review. (I can't speak to the other two journals.) I've not heard of a non-member being published, but I'm sure it is possible. As for members, each staff member has to write a piece their 2L year and any non-Board members have to write a piece their 3L year. The 5-6 published pieces are out of about 40-45 total student pieces.

Classes: Your 1L classes will mostly be the socratic method where the professors ask students about the cases and hypos. In the 2L/3L years, many classes are still socratic, but not as bad and more are lecture or volunteer based. Classes are more study and application of theory. Very few classes offer real-world simulation experiences, and those that do are generally classes you'd take your 2L/3L years. But I think this is the case at most law schools.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Thanks again!

Workload: During 1L year, I got to school about 7:30 and left between 3 and 5, depending on the day. I tried to do work during most of that time, but I did take breaks. I'd read for class, work on Legal Writing stuff, and starting about mid/late October outline. During the week, I tried to not have to take anything home except for Legal Writing stuff when a brief/memo was close to being due. On weekends, I'd bring home whatever I needed to work on for Monday's classes.

Journals: I was on Law Review. I was a staff member my 2L year and an Executive Editor my 3L year. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but there are definitely things that can suck and take up a lot of time. But I wouldn't change it.

Only about 5-6 students get published by our Law Review each year, and those are all members of the Law Review. (I can't speak to the other two journals.) I've not heard of a non-member being published, but I'm sure it is possible. As for members, each staff member has to write a piece their 2L year and any non-Board members have to write a piece their 3L year. The 5-6 published pieces are out of about 40-45 total student pieces.

Classes: Your 1L classes will mostly be the socratic method where the professors ask students about the cases and hypos. In the 2L/3L years, many classes are still socratic, but not as bad and more are lecture or volunteer based. Classes are more study and application of theory. Very few classes offer real-world simulation experiences, and those that do are generally classes you'd take your 2L/3L years. But I think this is the case at most law schools.
Ridiculously helpful. At the risk of asking a stupid question, what's the criteria for becoming a member of Law Review at Wake?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 am

RAWR wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Thanks again!

Ridiculously helpful. At the risk of asking a stupid question, what's the criteria for becoming a member of Law Review at Wake?
+1. Ridiculously helpful, and I would like to know about the qualifications for Law Review as well...

rexfesler

New

Post by rexfesler » Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm

I totally concur and just here to add something extra.

As for work load, I spend a lot of in the library w/ very limited free time (because I cook, go to the gym, nap and stay too close to my computer.) The rest of day was used on only 3 things-- reading for the next day, LAWR homework and outline making. They are all super time consuming but u don't have to do them perfectly. There are always ways around. So it is all about how much time u are willing to put in. Nevertheless, there is gonna be tons of work. If u spend 5 hrs in reading a day, it is just normal.

Don't feel bad if you can't answer the questions from professors. Read the syllabus to see whether participation counts in ur final. If not, pls don't worry too much. If u r called on, one or two times of "I have no idea" will be enough to save you. Freaking out is unnecessary. Don't count on professors 100%. Most of them r cool but some just don't know what they r talking about. Be sure u get the supplement on the booklist rather a big bunch of E&E. Some professors prepare their class based on those recommended supplement. Make sure u take notes unless u find out that the professor do nothing but reciting the book,.which is super rare. So I would love to sit on the first row. The both ends of the first row r ridiculously safe. U can hear ur professors clearly. U won't fall asleep cus professor is around (I did once and the professor knocked on my table. Grrrrr, shame on me.) Once the professor leaves his podium, he can barely see u. So slimmer chance to be called on. Just yell when u have questions to ask.

As for law review, I have few things to add. I am working on it myself now. It is just too early for u to be worried about now. Talk to ur LAWR professor if u r super curious.

Hope this is helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm

rexfesler wrote:I totally concur and just here to add something extra.

As for work load, I spend a lot of in the library w/ very limited free time (because I cook, go to the gym, nap and stay too close to my computer.) The rest of day was used on only 3 things-- reading for the next day, LAWR homework and outline making. They are all super time consuming but u don't have to do them perfectly. There are always ways around. So it is all about how much time u are willing to put in. Nevertheless, there is gonna be tons of work. If u spend 5 hrs in reading a day, it is just normal.

Don't feel bad if you can't answer the questions from professors. Read the syllabus to see whether participation counts in ur final. If not, pls don't worry too much. If u r called on, one or two times of "I have no idea" will be enough to save you. Freaking out is unnecessary. Don't count on professors 100%. Most of them r cool but some just don't know what they r talking about. Be sure u get the supplement on the booklist rather a big bunch of E&E. Some professors prepare their class based on those recommended supplement. Make sure u take notes unless u find out that the professor do nothing but reciting the book,.which is super rare. So I would love to sit on the first row. The both ends of the first row r ridiculously safe. U can hear ur professors clearly. U won't fall asleep cus professor is around (I did once and the professor knocked on my table. Grrrrr, shame on me.) Once the professor leaves his podium, he can barely see u. So slimmer chance to be called on. Just yell when u have questions to ask.

As for law review, I have few things to add. I am working on it myself now. It is just too early for u to be worried about now. Talk to ur LAWR professor if u r super curious.

Hope this is helpful.
How is it too early when acceptance is based on 1L grades?

whitese51

New

Post by whitese51 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:

Hope this is helpful.
Law Review is not completely based on 1L grades. The top 10% of the class gets an automatic invitation, the rest of the invitations are based on a combination of your write-on score and grades. Since the write-on competition is completed before you get your Spring grades back, pretty much everyone who wants to be on LR participates in the competition.. unless they're extremely confident that they will be in the top 10% and are willing to gamble LR membership on it. I'm on LR so if you have any specific questions about it (getting on, workload, etc.), feel free to PM me

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:18 am

whitese51 wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

Hope this is helpful.
Law Review is not completely based on 1L grades. The top 10% of the class gets an automatic invitation, the rest of the invitations are based on a combination of your write-on score and grades. Since the write-on competition is completed before you get your Spring grades back, pretty much everyone who wants to be on LR participates in the competition.. unless they're extremely confident that they will be in the top 10% and are willing to gamble LR membership on it. I'm on LR so if you have any specific questions about it (getting on, workload, etc.), feel free to PM me
If you want Law Review, I would highly recommend doing the write-on regardless of whether you think your grades will put you in the top 10%. One of my friends didn't and he ended up below the top 10%. He ended up on one of the other journals, but he was really bummed not to get LR.

As whitese51 said, the top 10% grade onto LR. Additionally, those in the top 20% grade onto the Business & Intellectual Property Journal. The Law & Policy Journal (as of now) only takes those via the write-on. Of those that do the write-on and aren't in the top 10%, another 10% of the class will get onto LR. Obviously grading on would be great, but make sure you learn how to write (look at student pieces on Westlaw or LexisNexis to get an idea of what to do, though you have to do this before the competition starts or else it's cheating) and make sure you know the Bluebook in and out. They'll be testing you on rules you learned in LAWR AND rules you've probably never seen before and never knew existed.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 10:40 am

Hi snowflakes,

Is there a specific apartment complex that houses the MAJORITY of law students? If you don't live there, are they all "YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!!!!" ...? Do all the cool kids live in one complex and have an awesome time, drink awesome shooters, listen to awesome music, and then just sit around and soak up each other's awesomeness?

I don't want to eat lunch alone in the bathroom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

RAWR wrote:Hi snowflakes,

Is there a specific apartment complex that houses the MAJORITY of law students? If you don't live there, are they all "YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!!!!" ...? Do all the cool kids live in one complex and have an awesome time, drink awesome shooters, listen to awesome music, and then just sit around and soak up each other's awesomeness?

+1

though, I like eating lunch alone in the bathroom...

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 am

InBetweenDays wrote:

+1

Whatever, I'm getting cheese fries.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 am

RAWR wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

+1

Did you just get that email about deposits and app withdrawals? It sounds a lot like they want people to withdraw...

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 11:35 am

InBetweenDays wrote:
RAWR wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:

+1

Did you just get that email about deposits and app withdrawals? It sounds a lot like they want people to withdraw...
Hahaha unfortunately, it definitely does. The "even if enrollment inadvertently increases" phrase is making me nervous. Someone reply and ask how many are enrolled! Nose goes! :arrow:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”