Wake Forest University Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
shaynislegend

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest University Class of 2016

Post by shaynislegend » Thu May 23, 2013 11:49 am

If the number really is around 300 (not saying it is) what are the odds 150 people withdraw? I mean I can't imagine people aren't sure on where they will be in 2 months, especially this late in the game.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 12:11 pm

shaynislegend wrote:If the number really is around 300 (not saying it is) what are the odds 150 people withdraw? I mean I can't imagine people aren't sure on where they will be in 2 months, especially this late in the game.
*SHUDDER*

Taking over the business school's space
+
Trying to make up for a small class
+
9 point jump in the rankings
=
.... 300 students? It MUST be smaller than that. That would be a massive mistake. I wish there was a way to find out. Not that it matters at this point, I already withdrew all of my other applications. Technically, I guess it's the section size that matters anyway, so maybe we won't notice?

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu May 23, 2013 12:14 pm

RAWR wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:If the number really is around 300 (not saying it is) what are the odds 150 people withdraw? I mean I can't imagine people aren't sure on where they will be in 2 months, especially this late in the game.
*SHUDDER*

Taking over the business school's space
+
Trying to make up for a small class
+
9 point jump in the rankings
=
.... 300 students? It MUST be smaller than that. That would be a massive mistake. I wish there was a way to find out. Not that it matters at this point, I already withdrew all of my other applications. Technically, I guess it's the section size that matters anyway, so maybe we won't notice?

I don't think a 9 point USNWR ranking jump would cause twice as many prospectives to accept their offers... but maybe they REALLY tried to make up for that smaller class?
Anyway, I'm more worried that this is going to cause Wake to get some seriously bad press if we have a 250+ class...

Edit: The part of the email that was most concerning to me - " Thus if on or after June 15 your record appears on a commitment overlap report as having deposits at multiple schools we reserve the right to rescind your offer of admission."

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Thu May 23, 2013 1:37 pm

InBetweenDays wrote:
Edit: The part of the email that was most concerning to me - " Thus if on or after June 15 your record appears on a commitment overlap report as having deposits at multiple schools we reserve the right to rescind your offer of admission."
This whole thing is kind of weird. I can see the positives in all of this, with Law schools in general seeing a decline in applications it is nice that Wake didn't see the same decline (maybe their was but you can't tell on this high acceptance number). Also maybe Wake is preparing for this less applicant trend but stocking up now (not saying this is a good thing).

My personal concern (minute) is not with "bad pub" or "larger sections" but with the amount of competition for regional jobs after graduation. I would assume most of those in our class will want to stay in NC, which already isn't a huge legal market. If we do have class of 200+ I can def see an environment change.

EDIT: Also if Wake is planning on keeping class sizes around where they have always been (-160) and this was just an outlier... well GOOD LUCK getting in next year. That class will be brutally small.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Thu May 23, 2013 2:19 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
InBetweenDays wrote:
This whole thing is kind of weird. I can see the positives in all of this, with Law schools in general seeing a decline in applications it is nice that Wake didn't see the same decline (maybe their was but you can't tell on this high acceptance number). Also maybe Wake is preparing for this less applicant trend but stocking up now (not saying this is a good thing).

My personal concern (minute) is not with "bad pub" or "larger sections" but with the amount of competition for regional jobs after graduation. I would assume most of those in our class will want to stay in NC, which already isn't a huge legal market. If we do have class of 200+ I can def see an environment change.

EDIT: Also if Wake is planning on keeping class sizes around where they have always been (-160) and this was just an outlier... well GOOD LUCK getting in next year. That class will be brutally small.

My assumption is that it is an outlier. Wake has an enormous endowment... $1,058,250,000 according to US news. They aren't the kind of school that makes their money from tuition.

Personally, I don't want to stay in NC, but the vast majority of Wake grads do. Maybe we will see grads increasingly trying their luck in other markets. Wake is a regional school, but the effective region is much larger than most peer schools.

This whole thing does have me feeling a bit uneasy, though =-/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu May 23, 2013 2:35 pm

RAWR wrote:Hi snowflakes,

Is there a specific apartment complex that houses the MAJORITY of law students? If you don't live there, are they all "YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!!!!" ...? Do all the cool kids live in one complex and have an awesome time, drink awesome shooters, listen to awesome music, and then just sit around and soak up each other's awesomeness?

I don't want to eat lunch alone in the bathroom.
This got buried, but I'd still really like to know. Meowza.

valrath

New

Post by valrath » Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 pm

RAWR wrote:

Is there a specific apartment complex that houses the MAJORITY of law students? If you don't live there, are they all "YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!!!!" ...? Do all the cool kids live in one complex and have an awesome time, drink awesome shooters, listen to awesome music, and then just sit around and soak up each other's awesomeness?

I'm interested in this too, I heard law parties are the bomb.

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri May 24, 2013 10:58 am

From what I have heard a lot of people are looking at the Crowne Polo's, I went to visit them back in... March? They are nice, but I won't be there... so there is that negative haha

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Fri May 24, 2013 11:07 am

shaynislegend wrote:From what I have heard a lot of people are looking at the Crowne Polo's, I went to visit them back in... March? They are nice, but I won't be there... so there is that negative haha
Aha. Ha. Ha. Where are you living, then?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri May 24, 2013 11:10 am

RAWR wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:From what I have heard a lot of people are looking at the Crowne Polo's, I went to visit them back in... March? They are nice, but I won't be there... so there is that negative haha
Aha. Ha. Ha. Where are you living, then?
Hopefully I will know this weekend, I am heading up to WS on Saturday to look at a bunch of Condo's on Aspen Way. My wife and I live in an apartment now, I don't mind it but would much rather do a condo or house if at all possible. Plus, those Aspen condo's are a 5 minute walk from the law building... though Crowne Polo isn't exactly a trek either.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 pm

RAWR wrote:

There are many law students at each of the Crowne's, particular Crowne Polo and Crowne Park. But, there are many others that live at other complexes or rent houses. If you don't live at one particular place, you'll be fine. People at the beginning of the year will invite everyone to their get togethers. The "cliques" won't really fully form until later. By then, you'll have your own. I lived at Crowne Park my first two years and went to more parties at non-Crowne places than at Crowne places.

patricksouthern

Bronze

Post by patricksouthern » Tue May 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Totally, 100 percent committed to Wake Forest -- after applying to almost 30 schools, I've withdrawn from all the others. Glad to join the Class of 2016.

InBetweenDays

New

Post by InBetweenDays » Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 am

patricksouthern wrote:Totally, 100 percent committed to Wake Forest -- after applying to almost 30 schools, I've withdrawn from all the others. Glad to join the Class of 2016.

Grats! Join the FB group!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 am

patricksouthern wrote:Totally, 100 percent committed to Wake Forest -- after applying to almost 30 schools, I've withdrawn from all the others. Glad to join the Class of 2016.
That's awesome man. See ya in August!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Bring that pride ITT:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”