NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
risa

Bronze

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by risa » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 pm

ph5354a wrote:Congrats again! Some people reported not being able to log into ASW until the next day, so maybe wait until tomorrow and then ask admissions about it. For financial aid, they only require FAFSA and Need Access (same form as a lot of other schools require).
Thanks very much for this. I already did FAFSA & Need Access and added NYU before I'd gotten my decision, so I guess I'm good for now. I'll be patient for a day or two on the ASW front.

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Bleh, waiting for merit aid information is turning to be just as nerve-wracking as waiting for acceptance. So much waiting.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:00 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Bleh, waiting for merit aid information is turning to be just as nerve-wracking as waiting for acceptance. So much waiting.
+180

joiedevivre18

New

Post by joiedevivre18 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 am

vividviolin wrote:Thanks! The email went out at 10:45am EST for me.

Just as a heads-up for those of you in the running who may be making travel plans: there's no formal interview, but finalists need to go to the March ASW (with special programming on Wednesday). There's a phone interview option if you can't make the ASW, but they are providing up to $300 for transportation expenses...

Good luck!
That's great to know! I'd be flying in from overseas so this is much, much appreciated!

marshal26

New

Post by marshal26 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Hey guys checking in got accepted yesterday!

Probably a stupid question but all you need to do to be considered for merit aid is to submit the FAFSA and Need Access forms right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 pm

marshal26 wrote:Hey guys checking in got accepted yesterday!

Probably a stupid question but all you need to do to be considered for merit aid is to submit the FAFSA and Need Access forms right?
Congrats! Indeed, that's all you need.

marshal26

New

Post by marshal26 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:33 pm

ph5354a wrote:
marshal26 wrote:Hey guys checking in got accepted yesterday!

Congrats! Indeed, that's all you need.

great. thanks a lot

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Got an award of 75k (90 if PI). I have no leverage to negotiate up at the moment, so I'm going to sit tight until Chicago sends me something. I really need the full 90.

Lighthouseman

New

Post by Lighthouseman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Just got the 75k/90k award too! This puts NYU at the top of the list right now. Sent need access and fafsa on tuesday too, so really quick turnaround. Quite pleased with NYU and their efficiency

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Just found out that I didn't get anything via $$ offers from NYU :(

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:08 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Just found out that I didn't get anything via $$ offers from NYU :(
++

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Thoughts on going to this school at sticker, everybody?

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Thoughts on going to this school at sticker, everybody?
YOLO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Thoughts on going to this school at sticker, everybody?
That's my plan if I don't get any scholarship $$. I really want NYC big law so I figure its a calculated risk but its one I'm willing to take. I think it all depends on what kind of career you want and where you want be.

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 pm

I really want biglaw anywhere, full stop. I figure NYU (or up) will give you a good shot in any market, and especially in the large NYC market. Eh. Still bummed, though.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 am

they send you an email if you get money or if you dont, both ways right?

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:02 am

Yup. In fact, they direct you to your award letter either way, in order to prolong your hope.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 am

Audeamus wrote:have any RTK interview invites gone out?
Haven't heard anything.

For other RTK and named scholly applicants, if we haven't received financial aid information, is it considered a sign that we're still in the running for the scholarship? Or has nobody heard back one way or the other? (apologies for the neuroticism, but it helps take the edge off the suspense to see what other folks have heard/hypothesized about this).

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm

maggielizer wrote:
Audeamus wrote:have any RTK interview invites gone out?
Haven't heard anything.

For other RTK and named scholly applicants, if we haven't received financial aid information, is it considered a sign that we're still in the running for the scholarship? Or has nobody heard back one way or the other? (apologies for the neuroticism, but it helps take the edge off the suspense to see what other folks have heard/hypothesized about this).
No apology necessary, yup I'm taking that as a sign too. We've heard from a couple of 1Ls that hearing about financial aid at this point meant that you were not being considered as a finalist for a named scholarship. So, conversely, not hearing, even when a lot of others who submitted need access after you have heard, could mean that you're still being considered, or at least that they haven't made a decision about you yet regarding the named scholarship.

In my case, the fact that other IILJ finalists have already been contacted is not exactly comforting, but last year finalist invites went out gradually over the course of a few weeks (I'm guessing there's some kind of first choice/second choice grouping), so I'm holding out hope until I either hear about my financial aid package, or I get the email that all the finalists have already been contacted, which will be painful to hear, but it's a nice touch so at least we don't have to go on wondering.

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Welp, Berkeley just rejected me. Getting into NYU softened the blow, to say the least. At least now I can stop longing for California and enjoying not having a double-digit underemployment score.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Questions for those following their financial aid app on FAAPS:

1) How soon after "Application in Final Stages of Review" did you get your award notification? Mine seems to have moved from received to final review very quickly. (Admitted 2/13; Application Submitted 2/15; Application Under Review 2/15; Application in Final Stages of Review 2/15). Is it normal to fly through the review stages all within the same day? FWIW, I had submitted my Need Access before I got accepted.

2) Has anyone else who applied for RTK or other named scholarships moved to "Final Stages of Review"? I saw above that getting your award notification could be a bad sign that you are not being considered for RTK. I'm hoping that having my financial aid app show as "final stages of review" does not mean I've already been passed over for RTK!

3) On FAAPS you can click on the "My Application" tab and download a PDF of your application. I see that at the bottom of page 1 it asks what other schools you've been accepted to and are seriously considering. I remember leaving this question blank on the Need Access because I could not tell which school required that question & was still waiting on a lot of decisions when I completed the Need Access so I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot with my answer. Do you think I should contact Financial Aid (or update my Need Access?) at this time to answer that question? I also see that on the top of Page 2 there is a question about your area of interest. I don't have an answer listed for that one, although I do not remember consciously skipping it on the Need Access. Same question re: whether it's worth updating my Need Access or contacting Financial Aid to answer it at this time.

Thanks guys!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Trogdorburninator

New

Post by Trogdorburninator » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 pm

risa wrote:Questions for those following their financial aid app on FAAPS:

1) How soon after "Application in Final Stages of Review" did you get your award notification? Mine seems to have moved from received to final review very quickly. (Admitted 2/13; Application Submitted 2/15; Application Under Review 2/15; Application in Final Stages of Review 2/15). Is it normal to fly through the review stages all within the same day? FWIW, I had submitted my Need Access before I got accepted.

2) Has anyone else who applied for RTK or other named scholarships moved to "Final Stages of Review"? I saw above that getting your award notification could be a bad sign that you are not being considered for RTK. I'm hoping that having my financial aid app show as "final stages of review" does not mean I've already been passed over for RTK!

3) On FAAPS you can click on the "My Application" tab and download a PDF of your application. I see that at the bottom of page 1 it asks what other schools you've been accepted to and are seriously considering. I remember leaving this question blank on the Need Access because I could not tell which school required that question & was still waiting on a lot of decisions when I completed the Need Access so I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot with my answer. Do you think I should contact Financial Aid (or update my Need Access?) at this time to answer that question? I also see that on the top of Page 2 there is a question about your area of interest. I don't have an answer listed for that one, although I do not remember consciously skipping it on the Need Access. Same question re: whether it's worth updating my Need Access or contacting Financial Aid to answer it at this time.

Thanks guys!
I applied for RTK and the AnBryce, and I went to final stages of review in one day, as well. I've been sitting there for about two weeks now, and they've released awards twice now without me being notified of mine. I think several other people who applied for named schollies have also been sitting at final stages of review for a while, from what I've gathered from this thread while stalking it to see if anyone had heard back about RTK or he AnBryce, lol.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Trogdorburninator wrote:

Thanks guys!
I applied for RTK and the AnBryce, and I went to final stages of review in one day, as well. I've been sitting there for about two weeks now, and they've released awards twice now without me being notified of mine. I think several other people who applied for named schollies have also been sitting at final stages of review for a while, from what I've gathered from this thread while stalking it to see if anyone had heard back about RTK or he AnBryce, lol.
+1 jacobson here. been at final review for about two weeks. radio silence. im worried. wish i wouldnt have applied at this point i think

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:28 pm

az21833 wrote:
Trogdorburninator wrote:

Thanks guys!
+1 jacobson here. been at final review for about two weeks. radio silence. im worried. wish i wouldnt have applied at this point i think
Ditto -- been sitting at Final Review since 2/5.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 am

banjo wrote:I was in the final stage like a week ago. It can take up to three weeks from that date (though I do acknowledge some have gotten offers very quickly)
Just realized 3 weeks is coming up for me --do you have a source for that or was it just an estimation? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”