Baylor summer 2012 (c/o 2015) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Lvaughn714

Bronze

Baylor summer 2012 (c/o 2015)

Post by Lvaughn714 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Since we have passed the deposit deadline for most and are etarting in May thought I would see who else is out there! Anyone look at housing yet?

clairecate

New

Re: Baylor summer 2012 (c/o 2015)

Post by clairecate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm in! :)

I'm getting a headache from trying to figure out housing....I want to live somewhere away from the undergrads but still close to the law school. I'm overwhelmed.

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm

clairecate wrote:I'm in! :)

I'm getting a headache from trying to figure out housing....I want to live somewhere away from the undergrads but still close to the law school. I'm overwhelmed.
I'm going through the same thing! If you find somewhere let me know. Have you been to visit?

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:

I'm going through the same thing! If you find somewhere let me know. Have you been to visit?
Not to look at apts...guess I need to get on that.

From what I'm seeing online, these are the only options:
a) Cheap, but seriously? I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to those living conditions...
b) Affordable, but overrun with undergrads - studying at home wouldn't be an option; and
c) Ridiculously overpriced considering I could get something just as nice for at least $100-200 cheaper...in DALLAS.

I just know myself, and I know that I will be happier, more productive, and generally better to handle stress/anxiety if I have a nice place to come home to, but I can't really justify spending ~$800/mth on something when there's a flea bag dump for $400/mth down the street. But in the long run, I'm starting to think it might be worth it. What's an extra couple thousand in debt for feeling safe and happy?

DILEMMA.

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:58 pm

clairecate wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:

a) Cheap, but seriously? I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to those living conditions...
b) Affordable, but overrun with undergrads - studying at home wouldn't be an option; and
c) Ridiculously overpriced considering I could get something just as nice for at least $100-200 cheaper...in DALLAS.

I just know myself, and I know that I will be happier, more productive, and generally better to handle stress/anxiety if I have a nice place to come home to, but I can't really justify spending ~$800/mth on something when there's a flea bag dump for $400/mth down the street. But in the long run, I'm starting to think it might be worth it. What's an extra couple thousand in debt for feeling safe and happy?

DILEMMA.

I feel the exact same way. I'm starting to think maybe the compromise is gettin a roommate with similar priorities. The law library is awesome but I definitely prefer being in my own space for real studying. Honestly in the end I'll go for better environment where I feel safe...some of those places looked terrifying.

Where are you from originally?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
clairecate wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:

DILEMMA.

I feel the exact same way. I'm starting to think maybe the compromise is gettin a roommate with similar priorities. The law library is awesome but I definitely prefer being in my own space for real studying. Honestly in the end I'll go for better environment where I feel safe...some of those places looked terrifying.

Where are you from originally?
Born and raised in Dallas, graduated from SMU and now working downtown. What about you? This whole finding somewhere to live in a city I'm not currently in is getting old really fast. I've talked to 3 over-priced places that I was willing to settle and pay more for in return for security/comfort/happiness and they either don't have anything available at all or don't have anything until June 1, and since being homeless for the first month isn't really an option...I'm kind of at a loss now haha

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 am

Still haven't heard anything and its Feb 23... Help?

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I applied for fall and they just sent me an email suggesting I apply for summer, so they're definitely still reviewing apps. Even the best parts of Waco are still pretty meh. I've never lived there but I used to drive through and visit all the time, and it's kind of a depressing city. Just about anywhere is livable with a good attitude, but Waco takes a little extra positive thinking. If you don't mind a bit of a drive, once you get off 35 and follow one of the highways (I can't remember the exit- there's a chick-fil-a billboard for it) and go a little ways it gets much more livable. Anyways, good luck all!

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Decision letter mailed- that was waaay too fast to be good news lol. Good luck all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:59 pm

My decision letter is in the mail as well. I applied on the 9th.
Mailed on the 23rd, but I'm out of town so I don't know if has arrived yet.
:shock:

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Oh, and just because I realized I hadn't actually answered the question, if you find a place you like that doesn't have vacancies till June, there are a couple of extended stay places that have rooms for less than 200 dollars a week if you don't mind moving mid-quarter.

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Looks like I'll be seeing you guys in a couple of months! Acceptance packet came today 8) . I've been looking at River Crest apartments- they seem decent and reasonably priced. It's not that far from campus, but I think it's probably on the edge of the meth belt. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about availabilities. Regardless, I'll still be crip walking the whole rest of the day lol. Good luck to ya'll still waiting, and happy hunting to those looking for a home!

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Did anyone else get the e-mail about the Summer 2012 Facebook group? It won't show up when I search for it, could someone post a link to it? I feel so left out....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 pm

First I've heard of it. (lol awk-ward)

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 pm

McPmpy wrote:First I've heard of it. (lol awk-ward)
HA! That might be because you just got accepted last week - have you put down the deposit? (CONGRATS btw!)

It doesn't look like a mass e-mail (from a Danielle Brown) but I'm not about to reply and ask for a link.

Anybody planning on attending one of the Open Houses? I'm thinking about going 4/13. I would go the DFW admitted students dinner...but wtf it's in Arlington? I get that it's in the middle or whatever, but I'd rather drive to Ft Worth and go to Joe T's than drive out to Arlington for any reason not Rangers/Cowboys related.

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 pm

I still haven't heard anything for summer quarter....

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:35 pm

That's probably it. I haven't put down a deposit yet, but I'm for sure set on Baylor- just waiting on some last minute ducats. (ty, grats to you as well. I was sooo far below the median lol- I had to read it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't crazy.) I think the open houses are more tailored towards prospective students, but I was thinking of going to the one in March anyways. I went to an open house at South Texas a couple of months ago and it was pretty legit. If nothing else, it'll be a chance to look around at apartments or at least get a better idea on locations and commutes. Just about the only DFW restaurant I know is Campisi's (which rocks), but I think that's in Dallas.

I'm not sure about the facebook group thing- I usually behave pretty well, but I'm not crazy about the idea of blurring the lines between social and professional circles. Plus I have a brother that *loves* drunk posting random non-sequitors with strong racial overtones. I can just imagine that going over gangbusters...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Anyone else get their student housing guide in the mail? It comes in a pretty sweet brief/organizer thing with the Baylor logo on it. It has exactly the info I've been trying to figure out online. Hope it helps.

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Last edited by dsb83 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bulaw2014

New

Post by bulaw2014 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 pm

dsb83 wrote:Hey Guys,

I applied really late to SMU, Houston and Baylor(mid-feb). For Baylor I applied to all three classes, because of the fee-waivers. Well, I didn't get into Baylor Fall but was accepted to the Spring and Summer. Having not heard from SMU and Houston and not wanting to wait until the Spring, I went ahead and gave Baylor a deposit. I was told that deposit was transferable to the Spring but they requested a one month notice. I expect to hear from SMU and Houston within the next week or two.

So I was wondering if anyone had advice on how Baylor's summer class compares to its Fall in terms of quality of education and employment opportunities. The other option I'm considering is to postpone law school one more year, take one more LSAT and apply as early as possible -- again focusing on Texas schools.

Anyone have any advice?
The class that starts in the summer or spring quarter is no different than the fall. You take the same classes, have the same professors, etc. In fact, you will also take several classes during the first year with students that started in different quarters but are still 1Ls. As far as employment opportunities, there's no distinction on your diploma regarding what quarter you started. The quarter system does allow flexibility in the sense that you can take a quarter off whenever you want (example: take off the spring quarter to work the legislative session in Austin), or you can take no quarters off and just go all the way through in a little over 2 years.

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:52 am

Last edited by dsb83 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:13 am

Lol I totally thought I replied two days ago but I just realized I got distracted and minimized the window. As he said, it's the same degree. As far as employers go, I don't think they get anything saying which quarter you started in, but they do get your grades. The way Baylor does their class standings, I think, is they average them over the last three quarters, so it's not like you get a huge advantage one way or the other. They advertise it as you can compete for internships both during the summer and the offseason- not sure how many offseason internships there are, but I guess you can apply to thems that are. I think the bottom line is if you wouldn't go to Baylor during the fall, I wouldn't consider it during any of the other quarters either. If you could see yourself at Baylor, consider your options carefully and make the choice you think best fits you. I definitely think it's the right fit for me, and I look forward to it. I welcome those that think the same, and wish the best to those that don't. They've got a lot to offer, and I don't think they water it down for their "off-peak" students. I don't know if you can check this, but on their catalogue, as far as I can tell, they have the same professors teaching the same classes in the summer as they do the fall and the spring.

Any which way, all the best.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 am

Could someone give me a solid idea for what tuition in 2012-2013 will actually be? The site says a solid $16,300/quarter (i.e., $48,900/"year"), but it's been claimed to me more than once by numerous people (including adcomm) that it's $44,000.

$5,000 makes a...well, big difference, so any info is much appreciated. I feel silly just having to ask this, but I'd rather ask it and feel silly than not and fall into something dangerous.

McPmpy

New

Post by McPmpy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 am

http://www.baylor.edu/sfs/index.php?id=84913

They don't have the 2012-2013 info yet- not sure when it goes out, but I'm sure they'll post it to the website when they do. The Summer session is considered part of the 2011-2012 year, btw.

EDIT: Haha, I'm the @%2#. http://www.baylor.edu/sfs/index.php?id=69437

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”