Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
mrtoren

Silver

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015

Post by mrtoren » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:22 am

allmodcons wrote:I was gonna bump this earlier just to get some Rutgers-related talk going to get me psyched about staying in-state. That's actually a solid looking hoodie. When I visited Rutgers-N the store was closed so I didn't get to see what kind of stuff they had though (clearly a crucial part of the decision making process). Where are you at with your decision mrtoren? Have you seen Rutgers-N?
Unfortunately, I've decided to go to Camden. It was an extremely difficult decision that came down to where I wanted to live rather than any tangible differences among the schools. Some people are cut out for New York City; others, like myself, are better suited to a smaller area like Philadelphia. The merger makes me a little edgy, but I'm guaranteed the Rutgers name on my degree...even if that means I'm a part of the final class. However, I think this fiasco will take years to sort out, resolve in court, and implement.

Its certainly scared off a fair number of folks. I think I'm the only one who has openly committed on the forums and is an active student in the thread. Talking to myself in there can get pretty boring though..

allmodcons

New

Post by allmodcons » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 am

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 am

The longer the wait for other decisions, the more certain I become that Rutgers is right for me. 98% chance I'm going. W&L was the only other school I was considering (don't want to bother with the waitlist).

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:38 pm

That hoodie is really cool, I like it.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:40 pm

allmodcons wrote:
mrtoren wrote:
allmodcons wrote:I was gonna bump this earlier just to get some Rutgers-related talk going to get me psyched about staying in-state. That's actually a solid looking hoodie. When I visited Rutgers-N the store was closed so I didn't get to see what kind of stuff they had though (clearly a crucial part of the decision making process). Where are you at with your decision mrtoren? Have you seen Rutgers-N?
Unfortunately, I've decided to go to Camden. It was an extremely difficult decision that came down to where I wanted to live rather than any tangible differences among the schools. Some people are cut out for New York City; others, like myself, are better suited to a smaller area like Philadelphia. The merger makes me a little edgy, but I'm guaranteed the Rutgers name on my degree...even if that means I'm a part of the final class. However, I think this fiasco will take years to sort out, resolve in court, and implement.

Its certainly scared off a fair number of folks. I think I'm the only one who has openly committed on the forums and is an active student in the thread. Talking to myself in there can get pretty boring though..
I get that. Good for you, man! Yeah I've heard about the plan to have one Rutgers Law School with two campuses (like a Penn State type of thing). That seems to make the most sense and will probably get the student body and alumni vote.

Anyone else lurking around that's committing to Newark?
I'm deciding between here and one other school, visiting both next month and then will know for sure. It's so hard to make up my mind!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 am

Why would one pick University Square over University Centre?

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am

I'll be attending in the Fall. I am trying to decide if I want an apartment or if I want to live in the University Centre. I will be driving as well. NYC native

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:46 pm

I've been lurking this thread for about a month now. Still waiting on 27 schools to get back to me but of the schools I've been admitted to, Newark is at the top of my list!

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:21 pm

So I've been searching Craigslist for housing and I'm pretty set on living in Harrison. I've found a number of affordable 2br apartments close to campus. Looking for a potential roommate. PM if interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello All:

I got accepted last cycle and deferred admission until this coming fall.

Anyone from Queens on this Forum? New York City generally? What are your thoughts on living arrangements? Newark isn't the most pleasant place; I was considering Jersey City. Thoughts?

Whose going to the open house on March 30th?

Commuting from NYC to Newark on an everyday basis is a bad life choice, I think, especially because you would lose the in state tuition discount (25kish vs 33kish for tuition)

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Excited to join the thread! I am choosing between Rutgers and one other for next year but am leaning very strongly towards Rutgers. I am having some issues finding apartments that are pet friendly near the law school, has anyone had any luck with that dilemma?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Beeg12 wrote:Excited to join the thread! I am choosing between Rutgers and one other for next year but am leaning very strongly towards Rutgers. I am having some issues finding apartments that are pet friendly near the law school, has anyone had any luck with that dilemma?
I have the same problem. I've found some things in jersey city, weehawken and Nutley etc but nothing in Newark by the school. Though admittedly, I haven't really looked in Newark. I'll be up there in a few weeks to look at places, I'll know more then.

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:28 pm

neeko wrote:
Beeg12 wrote:Excited to join the thread! I am choosing between Rutgers and one other for next year but am leaning very strongly towards Rutgers. I am having some issues finding apartments that are pet friendly near the law school, has anyone had any luck with that dilemma?
I have the same problem. I've found some things in jersey city, weehawken and Nutley etc but nothing in Newark by the school. Though admittedly, I haven't really looked in Newark. I'll be up there in a few weeks to look at places, I'll know more then.
my family and my SO's family is are from New Jersey...they recommended Rahway and Union due to ease of transportation with NJT and the relative low cost for what you get compared to Jersey City and Hoboken. I figure anything within walking distance to train is fine by me since Penn station Newark is so close to campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:49 am

DK33 wrote:Hello All:

Anyone from Queens on this Forum? New York City generally? What are your thoughts on living arrangements? Newark isn't the most pleasant place; I was considering Jersey City. Thoughts?

Commuting from NYC to Newark on an everyday basis is a bad life choice, I think, especially because you would lose the in state tuition discount (25kish vs 33kish for tuition)

I a actually live in Queens as well. I signed a lease with the University Centre. i don't think you should commute! Where do you live?

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:51 am

Anyone here living in the University Centre?

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:34 pm

I live in NY now.

If I dorm on RU-N campus, would that qualify me for NJ in-state residency?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 pm

ix88 wrote:I live in NY now.

If I dorm on RU-N campus, would that qualify me for NJ in-state residency?
You need to provide a lease and a NJ driver's license before classes kick off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Anybody know what's up with Rutgers and the grad plus loans? I remember reading something once in passing but I wasn't paying attention and I can't find it again. Only stafford is on my award letter.

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:24 pm

To qualify for in state tuition you just need to sign a 12 month lease, you don't need a NJ driver's license. Contact Dean Walton! On the award letter it just says Stafford Loan but if you need more you can apply for the graduate plus loan when you get the actual financial aid package in the upcoming months

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 am

Bratty_60 wrote:
DK33 wrote:Hello All:

I a actually live in Queens as well. I signed a lease with the University Centre. i don't think you should commute! Where do you live?
Glad to find someone from around here. I'm in Flushing these days. Besides here, I've had stints in Woodside and Briarwood. Tough to leave, I love it here. But I gotta go to NJ obviously. I'm thinking of Jersey City. I have a beat up outside but strong substantively car. Drive or train from J Square is quick to Rutgers and back to the City.

What part of Queens do you call home?

DK

DK33

New

Post by DK33 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:28 am

P.S. I got 2,000 offer for Work Study. Kids I know there say its mainly working around school, maybe the library or admissions doing administrative stuff

Think I should take it, leave it?

P.S. U Square is convient, but pricey and small. You can get more for less in Newark, Jersey City, or elsewhere. Plus living in a dorm is somewhat silly, I think, for Professionals turned Law Students in their mid 20's. Just my thought; but I'm not committed to anything yet. I'll probably get to NJ by June of July at the latest. Its weird out there; gonna take some getting used to.

DK

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bratty_60

New

Post by Bratty_60 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 am

I live in Cambria Heights right next to Elmont, Long Island. I also got 2000 for work study. I'm sure we won't be working a lot of hours so I'm considering taking it. I will most likely try it out my first semester and see how it works with my studies. The University Square is the rutgers dorm but I'll be living in the University Centre which a private student housing community. It is similar to a dorm. In reality I think getting a place off campus might come to the same price as the University Centre in the long run.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Bratty_60 wrote:To qualify for in state tuition you just need to sign a 12 month lease, you don't need a NJ driver's license. Contact Dean Walton! On the award letter it just says Stafford Loan but if you need more you can apply for the graduate plus loan when you get the actual financial aid package in the upcoming months
I've heard different stories from different admissions officials. Get it in writing.

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 pm

mrtoren wrote:
Bratty_60 wrote:To qualify for in state tuition you just need to sign a 12 month lease, you don't need a NJ driver's license. Contact Dean Walton! On the award letter it just says Stafford Loan but if you need more you can apply for the graduate plus loan when you get the actual financial aid package in the upcoming months
I've heard different stories from different admissions officials. Get it in writing.
If you look on the admitted students website it says to contact Dean Walton with concerns regarding qualifying for in-state tuition. I asked her about this and received an e-mail that all you have to do is present a 12 month lease prior to start of classes. It can't hurt to e-mail her and get it in writing, as mrtoren says.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 pm

RU-N 1L here. I got in-state residency by faxing a copy of my lease to admissions. It is indeed a real thing. I got the NJ driver's license too, but no one ever asked to see it anyway.
Those of you looking for pet-friendly housing, PM me - I ran into the same problem and am now considering moving and doing the roommate thing because my rent is high and my commute sucks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”