"BEST" Housing in Ithaca...Help! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which offers the best 1-bedroom apartment overall?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Commons West
25%
Old Cigar Factory
25%
Center Ithaca
25%
154/156 Fane Apartments
25%

Total votes: 4

Estef_22

New

Re: "BEST" Housing in Ithaca...Help!

Post by Estef_22 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:16 am

For the most part, I have been under the impression that we just needed to weigh value and privacy against convenience according to personal preference, but now that you say that, are there any considerations that are unique to law students that I may not be thinking of? How much studying do you do at your apartment vs. in the library?[/quote]

+1

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:29 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:
For the most part, I have been under the impression that we just needed to weigh value and privacy against convenience according to personal preference, but now that you say that, are there any considerations that are unique to law students that I may not be thinking of? How much studying do you do at your apartment vs. in the library?
I personally studied at the law school a ton in the fall and less this spring, but that had to do with various factors related to where I live, the weather, and what books I needed when/ how my class schedule worked out in # of classes/day. You'll have to make the decision yourself- my point is more I don't know anyone who doesn't spend close to 90%+ of their time in some combination of the law school and their apartment- some closer to 95% in the law school. So concerns about the neighborhood may just be "is it quiet when i get home at 1 to go to sleep".

It varies a lot from person to person- some people regularly need all nighters to do reading. I only stay up past midnight if I've been dicking around on the internet for more than like 3 hours.

Estef_22

New

Post by Estef_22 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 pm

I personally studied at the law school a ton in the fall and less this spring, but that had to do with various factors related to where I live, the weather, and what books I needed when/ how my class schedule worked out in # of classes/day. You'll have to make the decision yourself- my point is more I don't know anyone who doesn't spend close to 90%+ of their time in some combination of the law school and their apartment- some closer to 95% in the law school. So concerns about the neighborhood may just be "is it quiet when i get home at 1 to go to sleep".

It varies a lot from person to person- some people regularly need all nighters to do reading. I only stay up past midnight if I've been dicking around on the internet for more than like 3 hours.[/quote]

How are the Ithaca/Cornell buses at 1 in the morning? This thread is making me switch my search from the Commons to Collegetown and just learning to accept the ridiculous prices...

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Estef_22 wrote:I personally studied at the law school a ton in the fall and less this spring, but that had to do with various factors related to where I live, the weather, and what books I needed when/ how my class schedule worked out in # of classes/day. You'll have to make the decision yourself- my point is more I don't know anyone who doesn't spend close to 90%+ of their time in some combination of the law school and their apartment- some closer to 95% in the law school. So concerns about the neighborhood may just be "is it quiet when i get home at 1 to go to sleep".

It varies a lot from person to person- some people regularly need all nighters to do reading. I only stay up past midnight if I've been dicking around on the internet for more than like 3 hours.

How are the Ithaca/Cornell buses at 1 in the morning? This thread is making me switch my search from the Commons to Collegetown and just learning to accept the ridiculous prices...
you can research the routes and their times here:

http://www.tcatbus.com/pages/system
http://tcat.nextinsight.com/allroutes.php

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Get a car. Live wherever the fuck you want. Problem solved.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:15 pm

LaRon James wrote:Commons not a good option hill walk is ridiculous you ll find yourself rationalizing skipping class to avoid a 45 minute 12 degree incline 12 degree temperature walk. College ave is overpriced but moving very slightly up the hill (linden, Bryant, elmwood etc.) gives significantly more value. And for ultimate location, you could crawl to Myron Taylor from the law school dorms
Taking the bus is like 5 mins or less.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Pato_09 wrote:
LaRon James wrote:Commons not a good option hill walk is ridiculous you ll find yourself rationalizing skipping class to avoid a 45 minute 12 degree incline 12 degree temperature walk. College ave is overpriced but moving very slightly up the hill (linden, Bryant, elmwood etc.) gives significantly more value. And for ultimate location, you could crawl to Myron Taylor from the law school dorms
Taking the bus is like 5 mins or less.
Also, public transportation is free your first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”