Taking a leave of absence from T14?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DoITakeAYearOff

New

Taking a leave of absence from T14?

Post by DoITakeAYearOff » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi folks,

I am a rising 2L at a T14 who is contemplating taking a year of absence from law school. A very close relative was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness and I would like to be at home to support my family.

The tradeoff is that I would be giving up a lot of opportunities that I’ve worked hard to make happen for this upcoming year: law review, TAing with a professor, RAing with another professor, and a board position with a student group. Having committed to these obligations, I would feel terribly about letting those involved down. At the same time, I also know that I won’t be able to perform to the best of my abilities given my family circumstances.

I’m also worried about returning next year and participating in OCI with only a semester of real grades when presumably everyone else would have a full year’s worth. I did do well (~top 5%) if that’s of any relevance.

If I do take a year off, is it acceptable that I do, well, nothing besides caring for my family and grieving? Or should I be looking to do some volunteer work or whatever to fill the gap on my resume? How would employers perceive the absence? Should I just try to tough it out and stay in school?

I need to make a decision as soon as possible, as school is just around the corner and my commitments are scheduled to begin. This has been an extremely challenging and anxiety-inducing time, and I would appreciate any insight and advice folks may have. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”