Most Informative Courtroom Drama Shows????

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Chitown55

New

Most Informative Courtroom Drama Shows????

Post by Chitown55 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi Fam - I graduated earlier this month and just started studying for the July 2020 bar exam. Like many, I like to watch TV shows when taking study breaks and unwinding at the end of a long day of studying. Though the main point of this is to take my mind off of the bar, I would like for it to be somewhat productive if possible. I know that my weaker areas are Crim. law / procedure, evidence and civil procedure (I do transactional work), so I was thinking about jumping into the courtroom drama genre. My question is: What recommendations do you have for courtroom drama shows that are interesting, but also somewhat informative and reinforce bar exam concepts? I was thinking about giving Law and Order a shot, but wanted to see if there were any better options.

Thanks

cavalier1138

Re: Most Informative Courtroom Drama Shows????

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Courtroom dramas are generally "informative" in that they'll show you a lot of wrong stuff. Stop trying to overthink things, and don't try and convert every waking moment into some form of bar prep. It won't work.

That said, "Better Call Saul" may have the most realistic and honest portrayal of legal practice on TV.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue May 26, 2020 3:05 pm

You can't be serious. Courtroom dramas are notorious for getting everything in court wrong. Don't do this.

The only entertainment I know of that's actually reasonably good on this kind of thing is My Cousin Vinnie (my evidence prof played clips in class).

Fireworks2016

New

Post by Fireworks2016 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:09 pm

Watch "The Wire." It's not a courtroom drama, and it doesn't get everything right. But just watch it, ok.

JS623

New

Post by JS623 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:09 pm
Watch "The Wire." It's not a courtroom drama, and it doesn't get everything right. But just watch it, ok.
Agreed. While I love Better Call Saul and My Cousin Vinnie too, just watch the Wire first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”