info on duke prof Ernest Young? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stativus

New

info on duke prof Ernest Young?

Post by stativus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Hey all, Ernest Young from Duke is visiting and teaching con law I at my school and I'm hoping anyone who's taken him can share tips on what his exams are like!

Thanks!

rizzlebizness

Bronze

Re: info on duke prof Ernest Young?

Post by rizzlebizness » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

he will likely give you a "2" question exam. The second question will be an essay prompt that he will give you a week or two before the actual exam. That means you will be expected to have the essay finished to plug into the exam the day of (only needing to edit to fit your exam word count). The first question will consist of 2+ distinct fact patterns. Young is not hiding the ball here, this is a pure issue spotter so you need to:

1. Spot the issue (e.g., the X Act may raise Commerce Clause concerns).
2. Quickly state the rule (The Court reviews Commerce Clause issues under X test)
2. Apply the rule to the facts (here the Act is likely to pass Commerce Clause scrutiny b/c .....)

Caveat: I had him for a year-long Fed Courts course but many of my classmates had him for Con Law and the exam structure/expectations are nearly identical.

stativus

New

Re: info on duke prof Ernest Young?

Post by stativus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you--I really appreciate it! (:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”