NYU Law Housing- where to live Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stavand

New

NYU Law Housing- where to live

Post by stavand » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:32 pm

What do you think about living in NYU dorms vs. renting/ buying an apartment. I can afford an apartment in the area, but I'm wondering how much living in dorms with other law school students helps in terms of bonding, having a support structure, and socializing in general.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Re: NYU Law Housing- where to live

Post by aguyingeorgia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Same question, same situation...

aleph209

New

Post by aleph209 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm going to check out the apts at the ASW, but I assume that given their size/cost, I'd be living off-campus, if I go. The only advantage is convinience, given that I'll be out of the country until the beginning/middle of August.

For me, the real question is lower Manhattan (East Village, LES) or Brooklyn (not sure about neighborhoods).

thundy84

New

Post by thundy84 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:55 pm

I hear Jersey City is also a viable option for cheaper housing. There's an express from Jersey City to WTC area (if I'm not mistaken. . .) so it shouldn't be too bad as far as the commute goes. :D

JazzyJazz

New

Post by JazzyJazz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Don't forget Hoboken!! Not that hard to get to school either; and sort of a interesting youthful neighborhood.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:05 pm

I grew up outside Philadelphia, so I have grown to hate New Jersey. I don't know why, but I do.

IvyJustice

New

Post by IvyJustice » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. Been to Hoboken and Jersey City once. Liked both. But I think I would feel more comfortable in Brooklyn. It's a little cheaper there too.

GoodnessMe

New

Post by GoodnessMe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:15 pm

check out carol gardens and park slope in brooklyn. if they are close to the train, the commute is negligible.

i too have grown to hate NJ from living in ny and would rather not live in jersey city, but thats me :)

you can also check out westchester and take the metro north train in, but thats more of a commute.

although im not in at nyu (YET!), if you have any questions about the area, pm me. i live near by :)

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:20 pm

GoodnessMe, I'm going to NYU ASD a day early and looking at apartments. I know this questions is kind of open, but is there anything I should know in terms of the area when looking. Any buildings or streets I should stay away from. I'm looking for my apartment to be fairly quiet, because I've grown accustomed to doing all my studying in my room, not the library (although from what I here that might change in law school).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aleph209

New

Post by aleph209 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:38 pm

also, anyone who's lived in nyc have thoughts on brokers?

i can't tell whether they're useful or i'd be a fool to waste money on them. but given my lack of time to look and the cost of nyu housing, if a broker could find a place in manhattan for less than $1400, it seems like it could be worth it.

SaladFingers

New

Post by SaladFingers » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:57 pm

I live in a Cardozo dorm. With various NYU dorms in the area, I would assume the experience isn't too different. I regret moving into the Cardozo residence hall. While this area is incredibly expensive, the lower east side, brooklyn, or deep uptown would provide cheaper apartments and MUCH cheaper neighborhoods. If I could do it over again, i would find an open bedroom in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in the lower east side, rather than live in this dumpy studio. Also, I have to admit that while this dorm initially helped me meet people, those people are not necessarily my friends at school and that the classes themselves(and bar nights) have facilitated socializing.

weebleswobble

New

Post by weebleswobble » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 pm

not sure if i'll get in trouble for posting this in multiple places, but i'm starting law school in nyc in the fall (havent heard from NYU yet, so probably making the choice between Cardozo & Fordham).

re: housing... my fiance & i are getting married in a few weeks and will be subletting his 1 bdrm on the UES. it's on a great tree-lined block between Lexington & 3rd in mid-90s. Fully furnished, 2 blocks from the 6 train, Elevator building, Laundry in the building, Live-in super.

If you want to check it out or want more info, email carnegiehillapartment@gmail.com.

AlasLavinia

New

Post by AlasLavinia » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I just wanted to add that the commute from Westchester is unmanageable. Even on an express train from a larger stop, you have at least 35 minutes in to Grand Central. Then, you have to traverse Manhattan laterally and north-south to get anywhere NEAR NYU. It will take you about two hours to get between Westchester and NYU using public transit. Even longer if you do it during rush hours, or take a horrible train, like the 4.

My dh and I lived in Connecticut while he finished at NYU. It was awful.

Brooklyn is doable, but the rents there are really getting quite unmanageable. Since 2001, everyone has had the idea to live in Williamsburg, and the leprosy has spread to Green Point. Park Slope is even more desirable and unaffordable than the UES or Tribeca. Maybe Red Hook, but there are some bad areas.

Jersey? Nah. The trains in from there are really unreliable.

Some cheaper neighborhoods are Murray Hill, Grammercy, and Chelsea. But subway accessibility can make or break you. Do the commute a few times before you sign a lease. Seriously, NYU is at the ass-end of Manhattan, and all the Wall Street zombies and trader types are trying to claw their way onto the lower number north-south trains. Hideous.

Brokers are a bad idea. Very, very bad idea. Craigslist is full of scams. Choose your evil - I think the two options are equally bad. You might do well to hire an independent realtor who stands to earn a one-time fee from transacting your lease. That way, you get to deal with owners directly. Trust me, brokers lie and mislead you constantly. They will attempt to get a cash "security" at every stage, feigning desperation and making fake phone calls right in front of you.

As a coda to all of this, we live in Fordham now (neighborhood, not affiliated with the school). I go to school in the city and work in Brooklyn. My husband goes to Cornell (split between campuses in Midtown and Ithaca). But that's for a different thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Roosevelt Island has a super easy commute to NYU.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Brokers are absolute shits, but it's pretty hard to navigate NYC's rental market without them. Simply think of them as the person who opens the door for you and not much more. Ignore any pressure they give you about how quick the apartment is going to move and, if you're looking to negotiate price and they don't seem responsive, ask to speak directly to the owner/management company. If they won't provide you with access, move the fuck on (and away from the broker and any associated with them) asap.

It's actually a really good time to be renting in NYC right now. Most rents are negotiable, and you might be able to bargain your way to a few free months rent or no brokers fees. That said, if you're unfamiliar with the area, I would suggest getting a sublet for a few weeks. Spend your time checking out different apartments, and visit neighborhoods several times, at day and night. Test the commute. You're going to be paying a fair amount of money wherever you land, so it might as well be someplace that you like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”