Anyone know answer to this criminal law Q? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
clshopeful

Bronze

Anyone know answer to this criminal law Q?

Post by clshopeful » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:09 am

General Q here. I know of double jeopardy, but can you be tried twice for the same crime, say, if evidence was buried/suppressed/destroyed?

Say Joe is on trial for murder. Joe knows the prosecution is going to find his car, which has a video recording of the murder. So Joe destroys the evidence, and is found not guilty at trial. A year later, the FBI discovers that Joe destroyed this substantial evidence, and somehow the prosecution recovers a another copy of the film anonymously.

Can the gov't put him on trial again? Is this an exception to double jep?

Or if years later after the acquittal, evidence proved that Joe paid the prosecutor to deliberately not present certain evidence? [serious corruption]

Emma.

Gold

Re: Anyone know answer to this criminal law Q?

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:21 am

I don't believe there's any such exception. Once the jury is empaneled, jeopardy attaches and the jury verdict is the end of the matter for the charged offense. But the government would be able to bring other charges (obstruction of justice etc). And there's also the possibility of a state trial after a federal acquittal and vice versa.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:28 am

Emma. wrote:I don't believe there's any such exception. Once the jury is empaneled, jeopardy attaches and the jury verdict is the end of the matter for the charged offense. But the government would be able to bring other charges (obstruction of justice etc). And there's also the possibility of a state trial after a federal acquittal and vice versa.
this sounds right to me.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:22 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Emma. wrote:I don't believe there's any such exception. Once the jury is empaneled, jeopardy attaches and the jury verdict is the end of the matter for the charged offense. But the government would be able to bring other charges (obstruction of justice etc). And there's also the possibility of a state trial after a federal acquittal and vice versa.
this sounds right to me.
Im guessing in my extreme example of paying off a prosecutor, the trial would be declared a mistrial or something. But from my research, it seems you guys are right; that if someone confesses after trial or if clear and convincing evidence comes about, it doesnt matter.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 am

I don't think you could declare a mistrial even if you figure out later the prosecutor was bribed - you only get a mistrial before a verdict has been reached. And I don't think the government has any option to reopen the verdict after the fact and retry the defendant even if their prosecutor clearly threw the trial - the defendant could, of course, if they were alleging that they got convicted because the prosecutor was bribed. But if the prosecutor was bribed not to present evidence and the defendant is acquitted, too bad for the government. The government doesn't get the same opportunities to appeal that a defendant gets, and if the government tried to appeal on the grounds that their prosecutor was bribed, you don't get any relief for errors that you caused.

(Part of the problem is what you could call standing - if the prosecutor has been bribed not to present evidence, that prosecutor isn't going to move for a mistrial at any point before the verdict. The defendant won't, because he doesn't want to get convicted. There isn't anyone else with a dog in the fight. The public doesn't get to do anything and the prosecutor binds the rest of the government.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:56 pm

If the judge was bribed, the def was probably never "in jeopardy", so it wouldnt be double jeopardy to retry after a verdict.. Same might go for a prosecutor or juror. Evidence dstruction would probably come with its own criminal charges, and newly discovered evidence of guilt would be too bad for the state.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:38 pm

criminaltheory wrote:If the judge was bribed, the def was probably never "in jeopardy", so it wouldnt be double jeopardy to retry after a verdict.. Same might go for a prosecutor or juror. Evidence dstruction would probably come with its own criminal charges, and newly discovered evidence of guilt would be too bad for the state.
This sounds wrong to me. Has there ever been a case saying the defendant wasn't in jeopardy once the jury was empaneled?

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 am

criminaltheory wrote:If the judge was bribed, the def was probably never "in jeopardy", so it wouldnt be double jeopardy to retry after a verdict.. Same might go for a prosecutor or juror. Evidence dstruction would probably come with its own criminal charges, and newly discovered evidence of guilt would be too bad for the state.
This is not right.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:19 am

You can make it so that you weren't actually "in jeopardy" if you tamper with the jury, actually, IIRC.

EDIT: this is so rare I wouldn't call it a rule

I'll try to find a cite.
Last edited by landshoes on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:32 am

Aleman v. Honorable Judges of Circuit Court of Cook Cty., 138 F.3d 302, 307 (7th Cir. 1998)

looks like it's super rare

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:45 am

Also the posture here helps a lot - it's a habeas petition to the 7th Cir, not a direct appeal: "The legal conclusion urged by Aleman [that retrial after acquittal is an absolute bar to retrial] might not be an unreasonable application of Supreme Court precedent, but the highly deferential standard of collateral review leads us to hold that the contrary interpretation--the one adopted by the Illinois courts in this case--is also not unreasonable." Super deferential standard, with terrible facts for the defendant (defendant was notorious Chicago mobster).

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:28 am

yeah. my understanding is that this reflects a type of reasoning that is relatively more common in other common law countries.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”